none
Project Portfolio Hierarchy Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to create a hierarchy as below

Organization ->portfolio ->Program->Project

Organization can contain multiple Portfolios, similarly we can have multiple programs and projects in the hierarchy

We are planning to create project sites for each programs as well as for each portfolio.

what's the best way to differentiate program and project (without setting meta data separately) - in fact facing challenge to identify which one is program vs project while trying to create reports via power bi.

Thanks & Regards

Roy Joyson

Roy Joyson

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:40 PM

Answers

• I believe creating a enterprise column to differentiate Project,Program,portfolio could be one of the resolution for the above requested Query.

Roy Joyson

• Marked as answer by RoyJoyson Monday, August 29, 2016 5:43 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 5:43 AM

All replies

• I believe creating a enterprise column to differentiate Project,Program,portfolio could be one of the resolution for the above requested Query.

Roy Joyson

• Marked as answer by RoyJoyson Monday, August 29, 2016 5:43 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Roy --

Did you answer your own question already?  If not, I would suggest you create three custom enterprise Project fields, each of which contains a lookup table.  They would be named and set up as follows:

• Organization - this custom field would be attached to a lookup table containing the names of your organizations
    • Portfolio - this custom field would be attached to a lookup table containing the names of your portfolios
    • Program - this custom field would be attached to a lookup table containing the names of your programs

Each PM would be responsible for selecting a value for his/her projects in the Organization, Portfolio, and Program fields.  Doing this would greatly simplify your reporting.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, August 29, 2016 3:25 PM