Outlook 2016 Cannot start windows outlook. Cannot open windows outlook windows. The set of folders cannot be opened RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Got a fresh install of windows 10 and Office 365 on a users PC.

All went well at first then Outlook started throwing an error when starting up. It stalls on loading the profile then a pop-up declares that it can not open the set of folders...

What I have done so far:

Ran office repair
    re-installed Outlook
    Created a new profile (works for a short while but then back to the beginning)
    Deactivated all plug-ins (had to do this immediately after setting up a new profile as Outlook will not open in safe mode)

Also tried everything in https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2013/12/06/cannot-start-microsoft-outlook-solutions/

Also tried everything in https://support.office.com/en-us/article/i-can-t-start-microsoft-outlook-or-receive-the-error-cannot-start-microsoft-office-outlook-cannot-open-the-outlook-window-d1f69da6-b333-4650-97bf-4d77bd7abb85?CTT=1&CorrelationId=20910bad-e0d8-4bcd-aa2a-a0859c222018&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Any suggestions on anything else I can try would be greatly appreciated (including contact details for a good exorcist!)

• Moved by Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:13 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Mothgolian,

Do you have any anti-virus software running on this PC? In case it was related with its integration with Outlook client, we can try temporarily closing these programs and then see the results.

Do you already run Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool? Are there any errors detected?

In case this issue was caused by software conflicts, please try performing a clean boot in Windows to check the result.

Besides, what is the detailed version of Office? You can open Word or Excel and see the information via File > Account.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, November 2, 2018 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:13 AM
  • Hi Mothgolian,

Can you open Outlook normally?

I'm writing to see how is everything going on with this issue.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, November 2, 2018 8:22 AM