Windows server 2016 core + UCMA-WMA playback throwing exception. Missing codec? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get a UCMA application (Skype for Business application SDK) running in server core.  After making some modifications to the runtime installers, I've managed to get an app started, registered, placing, and receiving calls, but I'm running into an issue with playing back prompts.  The issue is that calling this code:

WmaFileSource source = new WmaFileSource("0-9.wma");
                source.EndPrepareSource(source.BeginPrepareSource(MediaSourceOpenMode.Buffered, null, null));

Throws an exception:

Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.OperationFailureException: PrepareSource failed. Verify that the file is valid, has proper permissions, and can be accessed. ---> Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Media.FileSourceException: OpenFile failed,hr=-2147467263
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Media.RtpAsyncResultNoResult.EndInvoke()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Collaboration.AudioVideo._RtpMediaFileSource.EndOpenFile(IAsyncResult iAsyncResult)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Collaboration.AudioVideo.WmaFileSource.EndPrepareSourceImpl(IAsyncResult ar)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipAsyncResult`1.ThrowIfFailed()
       at MCUDialoutRepro.Program.PlaceAVCall(String sipAddress) in D:\gitcode\prototypes\MCUDialoutRepro\MCUDialoutRepro\Program.cs:line 264
       at MCUDialoutRepro.Program.Main(String[] args) in D:\gitcode\prototypes\MCUDialoutRepro\MCUDialoutRepro\Program.cs:line 561

I've verified that the file is available, accessible, and valid, and the same code works fine on a server 2016 machine with desktop experience installed.  I have the media foundation role installed, so I'm thinking that there's a missing codec for WMA.  I did try out the server essentials media pack, but that didn't appear to install. 

I also pulled a list of dependencies on microsoft.rtc.collaboration, and found that there were a lot of missing dependencies on my server core system according to dependency walker:

ACLUI.DLL
    AEPIC.DLL
    AVRT.DLL
    CERTCA.DLL
    COMCTL32.DLL
    COMCTL32.DLL
    COMDLG32.DLL
    COMPPKGSUP.DLL
    COREUICOMPONENTS.DLL
    CRYPTNET.DLL
    CRYPTNGC.DLL
    CRYPTUI.DLL
    DBGCORE.DLL
    DCOMP.DLL
    DEVMGR.DLL
    DFSCLI.DLL
    DMCMNUTILS.DLL
    DMPUSHPROXY.DLL
    DSREG.DLL
    EAPPCFG.DLL
    EDPUTIL.DLL
    EFSADU.DLL
    EFSCORE.DLL
    EFSWRT.DLL
    ELSCORE.DLL
    FECLIENT.DLL
    FMS.DLL
    IEADVPACK.DLL
    IEAPFLTR.DLL
    IEFRAME.DLL
    IEUI.DLL
    IMGUTIL.DLL
    INETCOMM.DLL
    IRI.DLL
    MFC42U.DLL
    MI.DLL
    MIUTILS.DLL
    MLANG.DLL
    MPRMSG.DLL
    MSFEEDS.DLL
    MSHTML.DLL
    MSI.DLL
    MSLS31.DLL
    MSOERT2.DLL
    MSVCP110_WIN.DLL
    NETAPI32.DLL
    NEWDEV.DLL
    OCCACHE.DLL
    ODBC32.DLL
    OLEDLG.DLL
    OMADMAPI.DLL
    POLICYMANAGER.DLL
    PRINTUI.DLL
    PRNTVPT.DLL
    PUIAPI.DLL
    RASAPI32.DLL
    RASMAN.DLL
    RTUTILS.DLL
    RTWORKQ.DLL
    SHDOCVW.DLL
    SLC.DLL
    TAPI32.DLL
    TBS.DLL
    TPMCOREPROVISIONING.DLL
    TWINAPI.DLL
    UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL
    VAULTCLI.DLL
    WEBIO.DLL
    WEBSOCKET.DLL
    WER.DLL
    WEVTAPI.DLL
    WINHTTP.DLL

Can anyone think of what else I might be able to try to get this to work, or is this going to stay in the realm of "not supported"?  It would be nice to be able to support server core for our SFB apps (because containers eventually), but it's already starting to get pretty far off the support grid. 

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Monday, July 10, 2017 8:32 PM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris Bardon,

Regarding this issue, we suggest you post in Lync SDK forum, our forum is focus on how to troubleshooting Lync issue, in SDK forum, there are more experts will help you with this issue, thanks for your understanding and support.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=SfB

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, July 17, 2017 9:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Chris Bardon Monday, July 17, 2017 1:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:56 AM