Populating a Column List From Another List RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a list, let's call it Master list, that has the following columns:

- Category

- Origin

- Destination

- Amount

Then I have another list, let's call it Transaction list, that has the same columns as the Master list. What I would like to do is that when a user creates an item in the Transaction list, I would like to have the amount in the Transaction list to be assigned automatically from the Amount column in the Master List based on the matching category, origin and destination that the user has entered.

How can I do this? Do I use SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Jimmy

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

In Transaction  list, create a Lookup column, based on Master's Cxategory column

In column definition page, check also Amount column

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Marked as answer by Jimmy_Calsoft Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:31 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:35 AM
  • Hi Jimmy,

You may use either SharePoint workflow or Event receiver in order to resolve your task. Take a look at this forum discussion where both approaches were discussed Is there a way to auto create an item in an Announcement List when someone adds a Link to a Link List?

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts | Lightning Tools Blog

• Marked as answer by Jimmy_Calsoft Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:31 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Hi Jimmy,

As romeo suggested ,you can use lookup column or also you can do with data view webpart and worklfow.

Regards,

Avinash.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hi Jimmy,

You can either create a List Workflow from SharePoint Designer.

Use the action Copy List Item in Workflow to copy the list items from one list to another.

Hope this helps!!!

Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:15 AM