Windows 7 Pane Sizes RRS feed

• Question

• By and large, Windows 7 RC is an impressive piece of work, generally behaving better than my Windows Vista release version initially did. However, there are one or two little glitches, by far the most annoying of which is that it will not remember my chosen pane sizes for opened Windows. I laboriously expand them by dragging the corners out to maximise them, yet invariably, the next time I open that particular window, it reverts to its original default size. Is there any fix for this?

Incidentally, the power button demonstrates a somewhat similar form of bad behaviour; every now and then it restore itself from my chosen setting of 'switch user' to the default setting of 'shut down', although the setting shown in the set-up box when I go to restore my given choice is, confusingly, still shown as 'switch user'. I do wish it wouldn't do this!
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, August 24, 2009 5:52 AM Focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:19 PM

Answers

• In W7 U. 32 bit, Windows Live Mail opens Maxed all of the time. It does not matter how it was set the last

time user (Admin in my case) closes it. 

Superbear, it seeems that it is your system to blame.

You can try a SFC to check the system files.

SFC
    ===
    1. Click Start, type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the Search programs and files bar and right click on the "cmd.exe" choose "Run as administrator".
    2. The CMD command prompt windows will appear.
    3. Then type the following command and press Enter
       SFC /Scannow
    4. Restart the computer after the scanning.

Cecilia Zhou
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 28, 2009 4:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Superbear,

Please clarify whether other system settings be changed and saved properly.

If other system settings cannot be changed either, I think there may be a problem with your account. You should try to create a new account to check the issue.

If however, there are only two issues as you mentioned, you should have a look at my following words.

A. the window size issue

My PC is installed with Win 7 RTM. I have checked with Notepad and Paint. The same issue occurs when I restart Notepad if I have maximized a Notepad window before closing it. However, the issue doesn’t occur when I restart Paint.

Thus, I conclude that the window size depends on the application type.

However, you can use the following steps as a workaround to open windows in maximized type.

Change the Default Open Window Size

============================

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/87806-shortcut-default-open-window-size.html

1. Right click on any shortcut.

NOTE: For a keyboard shortcut, right click on the shortcut that the keyboard shortcut is assigned to.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Shortcut tab. (See screenshot below)

4. In the Run drop down menu, select the window size you want the shortcut to open to.

5. Click on Apply.

6. Click on Continue in the Access Denied prompt. (See screenshot below)

7. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

8. Click on OK.

B. the power button issue

If you changed the power button option from the Taskbar, you can try to change the settings from Group Policy. The detail steps are included as below:

Change Group Policy

===============

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane, double click on User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and click on Start Menu and Taskbar.

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, right click on Change Start Menu power button and click on Edit.

4. Select (dot) Enabled, then under Options, select Switch User in the drop down menu.

5. Click on OK.

I wish the answers will be helpful.

Good luck.

Cecilia Zhou
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:10 AM
  • About the window size and positioning bug, - windows 7 for some reason does not remember the size or posistion of individual windows, windows will always open the same size and position of the last window closed.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Hmm.... mine won't even do that. I can open a window, and it will come out full width, but as a band across the middle of the screen. I drag the bottom edge down as far as possible; that opens the top edge out to its maximum as well. I close the window, and then re-open it; it opens as a full-width narow band across the middle of the screen. It simple does not remember pane sizes.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Superbear, have you tried the steps as I suggest in my first post? You should have a try and tell us the result.

Besides, I am interested which apps have the issue. Do all the applications have the same issue? Or does it just occur when restarting certain windows?

Cecilia Zhou
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:12 AM
  • The pane size problems doesn't arise when opening applications from shortcuts; that never was the problem. The problem comes when opening up windows from Computer, or e-mails in Windows Live Mail; that's when the window doesn't remember its previous size. i then drag it back to full size, but have to repeat this exercise every time. Cecelia, I appreciate your trying to help, but that's a solution to a problem I don't have (yet!).

At present, the power button is behaving itself; it's remained set at 'switch user'. What I find odd is that when it was arbitrarily returning itself to the default setting of 'shut down', the setting shown in the options box was still 'switch user'; that hadn't changed, so there was no point in my changing it.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Superbear, I have neither of the issues. You should really try to create a new user account to check the pane size issue.

How to create a new user account in Windows 7 and Windows Vista

As to the power button issue, you should try to change the Group Policy setting.  Besides, you can check whether the issue occurs in safe mode.

Cecilia Zhou
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:32 AM
  • In W7 U. 32 bit, Windows Live Mail opens Maxed all of the time. It does not matter how it was set the last

Monday, August 24, 2009 10:36 AM

SFC
    ===
    1. Click Start, type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the Search programs and files bar and right click on the "cmd.exe" choose "Run as administrator".
       SFC /Scannow

Cecilia Zhou
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 28, 2009 4:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:02 AM
  • The pane size problems doesn't arise when opening applications from shortcuts; that never was the problem. The problem comes when opening up windows from Computer, or e-mails in Windows Live Mail; that's when the window doesn't remember its previous size. i then drag it back to full size, but have to repeat this exercise every time. Cecelia, I appreciate your trying to help, but that's a solution to a problem I don't have (yet!).

At present, the power button is behaving itself; it's remained set at 'switch user'. What I find odd is that when it was arbitrarily returning itself to the default setting of 'shut down', the setting shown in the options box was still 'switch user'; that hadn't changed, so there was no point in my changing it.

This is definately an issue where it should not function like this. It has bean addressed to the developers but we should continue to persue this matter. 
    • Edited by ONE ZERO Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:09 AM

SFC
    ===
       SFC /Scannow

Cecilia Zhou

HELLO NOVAK WU:

The suggestion to perform a system check with SFC /SCANNOW was marked as an answer but I can assure the readers this is a waste of time. Windows 7 has a bug or inability to remember the size and position of individual windows. There is no known solution or workaround as of yet.

Monday, September 28, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Cecilia Zhou,

This is unrelated to this topic so I apologize in advance.  However I was unable to find any other way to contact you and the other thread is locked.  I read your answer to the question How do I get windows 7 to Index a network mapped drive? [ https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/afb904c1-1c61-4aae-b6b1-5cf525b9f8de/how-do-i-get-windows-7-to-index-a-network-mapped-drive?forum=w7itpronetworking&prof=required ] 

Your suggestion of using what I would call an incredibly creative workaround, solved a problem I had been wrestling with for years despite being quite skilled with computers/Windows myself.  

I just had to thank you.  So, thanks!  .

Chris Shenkan
    IT Director/Software Engineer

• Edited by cshenkan Monday, November 12, 2018 10:52 AM Grammar
    Monday, November 12, 2018 10:50 AM