none
How to find physical disk \device\harddisk0\dr0

Question

• We have a server that has 5 2TB hard drives that are configured using storage spaces. There are 2 volumes on the drives that are used for media storage.

In the event log today we had:-

The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

How do I find out which disk the error message relates too.

This is just a cheap PC, with SATA storage as we needed large storage, but its not business critical.

The drives are JBOD and are configured as a parity volume in storage spaces.

Id like to replace the drive incase another one fails, but not idea which one to replace.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• This one should sort it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896648.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Unfortunately, that only shows me the virtual disks and where they are mounted. It doesn't show me the physical disks that storage spaces are using.

I have a storage pool, that has the 5 physical disks in it.

There are two virtual disks that have been created on the storage pool. These are mounted as D and E.

But none of the server 2012 tools see the physical disks (except within storage pools in server manager)

Disk manager simply lists the boot disk, and the two virtual disks.

I have no idea which disk the event log is referring to, and so no clue which of the disks to replace.

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Disk Management might tell you. Also what kind of disks? The disk manufacturer should have a diagnostic tool you can download and run to get the serial number.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:38 PM
  • They don't appear in disk management. There configured as storage spaces. Windows hides the physical disks and presents the virtual disks to the OS.

There all Seagate 2TB. Don't really want to take the server offline for a few days while the Seagate utility scans all this disks.

It seems crazy that event viewer wont tell my which physical disk is failing!

Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Might also try this one.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865/en-us

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Tried that one too. Problem is, the disks don't appear in disk manager, just the virtual disks.

Get-disk shows the boot drive, a test drive which is offline, and the 3 storage space virtual drives

PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-disk

Number Friendly Name                            OperationalStatus                    Total Size Partition Style
    ------ -------------                            -----------------                    ---------- ---------------
    1      ST3320620AS ATA Device                   Online                                298.09 GB MBR
    5      Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device       Offline                               931.51 GB MBR
    7      Microsoft Storage Space Device           Online                                    10 TB GPT
    8      Microsoft Storage Space Device           Online                                    10 TB GPT
    9      Microsoft Storage Space Device           Online                                    10 TB GPT

Get-Physicaldisk shows the physical disks, but there all marked as healthy, and none of them have the name that's in event viewer.

FriendlyName        CanPool             OperationalStatus   HealthStatus        Usage                              Size
    ------------        -------             -----------------   ------------        -----                              ----
    PhysicalDisk0       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                     1.82 TB
    PhysicalDisk1       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                   298.09 GB
    PhysicalDisk5       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                   931.51 GB
    PhysicalDisk3       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                     1.82 TB
    PhysicalDisk6       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                     1.82 TB
    PhysicalDisk2       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                     1.82 TB
    PhysicalDisk4       False               OK                  Healthy             Auto-Select                     1.82 TB
    So im at a loss as to how to identify the one that is failing

Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Is there a reason you don't think it is physical disk0? If so I think you're going to have to use the Seagate tools to confirm.

You might also try a tool to read the SMART status from disks.

http://www.hdtune.com/index.html

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:51 PM
  • No, it could be PhysicalDisk0, but I don't know. And as their configured in a parity set, I don't want to retire the wrong disk then loose all the data on it.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Then I'd use either the Seagate tools or a SMART capable tool to confirm.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:49 PM
  • I used an app called CrystalDiskInfo.  FYI the free standard version worked just fine.  it read the SMART info off the disks and presented it.  Including serial number and manufacturer.  Worked great and really easy to use.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:11 AM