locked
"RPC Proxy can't be pinged" "(401) Unauthorized" AND "NULL SID" RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • This is a solved problem, but when searching for "RPC Proxy can't be pinged" "(401) Unauthorized" AND "NULL SID" nothing came up, so I figured I should document it.

    We already have a nice, working, Exchange 2007 which we access via Outlook Web Access, our smartphones, and internal (or VPN) Outlook 2003.

    We are trying to cut over to Office 365. I can't access our existing server to setup a migration batch and the https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com says

    Attempting to ping RPC proxy mail.mydomain.com.
     	RPC Proxy can't be pinged.
     	
    	Additional Details
     	
    An unexpected network-level exception was encountered. Exception details:
    Message: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
    Type: Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Extensions.MapiTransportException
    Stack trace:
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Extensions.MapiRpcTestClient.PingProtocolProxy(String endpointIdentifier)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.MapiPingProxyTest.PerformTestReally()
    Exception details:
    Message: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
    Type: System.Net.WebException
    Stack trace:
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    at RpcPingLib.RpcPing.PingProxy(String internalServerFqdn, String endpoint)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Extensions.MapiRpcTestClient.PingProtocolProxy(String endpointIdentifier)
    Elapsed Time: 2442 ms.
    

    A normal login (like when I check email from Outlook 2003) shows:

    	Security ID:		mydomain1\JNewton2
    	Account Name:		JNewton2
    	Account Domain:		mydomain1
    

    but the same log, after the test from https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com shows:

    Account For Which Logon Failed:
    	Security ID:		NULL SID
    	Account Name:		jn@mydomain.com
    	Account Domain:		mydomain1
    

    Obviously the issue is that I put in jn@mydomain.com as the username in https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com when I should have put in JNewton2... right? BUT I CAN'T! The stupid site won't let me. It absolutely demands an email address for the "Microsoft Account:" The popup description of that field is "Enter your Microsoft Account. This is your User Principal Name and in many cases will be something like user@contoso.com"

    I googled "User Principal Name" and found "In the Windows operating system's Active Directory, a User Principal Name (UPN) is the name of a system user in an e-mail address format. The user name (or "username") is followed by the "at sign" followed by the name of the Internet domain with which the user is associated."

    So I tried again using JNewton2@mydomain.com, then with JNewton2@mydomain1.local and shazam! It worked! Or at least it got me past that error. Now it's stopping at another error... But I figured I would share this.

    So your "Microsoft account" is your username@localdomain.local and localdomain is NOT your public domain name, it's the internal name of your domain. 

    I'm sure everyone else in the world knew this and I'm an idiot, but there are other idiots out there so... here's to us!

    • Changed type James Newton Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:08 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:08 PM