Windows XP support/upgrade??? S.O.S... RRS feed

• Question

• Any help much appreciated! Thank you...

1) If I continue to use Windows XP on my older PC mainly for word processing and pix storage etc, will I still run into problems?

2) If I can no longer use Windows XP due to the end of its support, why am I only being referred to "Windows 8.1" and "buying an updated NEW computer." Is there really no other operating system that I can upgrade to like such as Windows 7, 8 or even Windows Vista?? When I ran the windows upgrade assistant for Windows 8, I received the following as not compatible (not sure how important they are...):

Install an app to play DVDs
    You may need to install an app to play DVDs in Windows 8.

Your processor doesn't have NX turned on or might not support NX

Setup will attempt to turn on NX during installation. If your processor doesn't support NX, the installation will be cancelled and your PC will roll back to the current OS.

Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
    Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.

Your screen resolution isn't compatible with snap

If it's possible, change your screen resolution to at least 1366 x 768 to snap apps.

Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2

Adobe Systems Incorporated

Not compatible

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft Corporation

RADEON X800 XT Secondary
    ATI Technologies Inc.

ATI Control Panel

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:16 PM

Answers

1) If I continue to use Windows XP on my older PC mainly for word processing and pix storage etc, will I still run into problems?

2) If I can no longer use Windows XP due to the end of its support, why am I only being referred to "Windows 8.1" and "buying an updated NEW computer." Is there really no other operating system that I can upgrade to like such as Windows 7, 8 or even Windows Vista?? When I ran the windows upgrade assistant for Windows 8, I received the following as not compatible (not sure how important they are...):

1) If that PC is not on the internet there is nothing that will stop it from functioning.  Just be sure that you have up to date anti-virus and if it is on the internet, that there is a hardware firewall  via your ISP equipment.

2) Windows 7 is still available from newegg.com

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Friday, April 4, 2014 3:19 PM

All replies

• 1 - The problems you run into next week well be the same problems you run into this week.

2 - Surely you don't expect Microsoft to recommend a solution no longer being marketed or one being marketed by someone else.

Friday, April 4, 2014 12:29 AM

1) If that PC is not on the internet there is nothing that will stop it from functioning.  Just be sure that you have up to date anti-virus and if it is on the internet, that there is a hardware firewall  via your ISP equipment.

2) Windows 7 is still available from newegg.com

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Friday, April 4, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Thank you very much for your direct helpful response to my actual questions... I had no idea about Windows 7, that's great news, and I feel much better about even turning the computer on if XP is still on it. Thanks again!
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:20 AM