none
Project Server 2016 Resource Engagements RRS feed

• Question

• We're currently using Project Server 2013 and are getting ready to migrate to 2016.  Our admin folks installed 2016 on a test server where I was hoping to experiment with the Resource Engagement functionality.  When we go to "Additional Server Settings"  to select "Activate" for "New Resource Management Features Available", that option is not available.  Any suggestions on why that is?  Thanks
    Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:18 PM

All replies

• DKLJoe --

I believe the Resource Engagements feature is only available in Project Online and Project Server 2019.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:21 PM
  • Dale - According to this article on technet - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37814.project-server-2016-new-and-deprecated-features-compared-to-project-server-2013.aspx - resource engagements is a part of Server 2016 functionality.  Also, when I open PWA for on the 2013 server, I still get the Resource Plan functionality.  When I open PWA on 2016, I don't.  When I open Project Pro 2016 on the 2013 Server, I don't get the Resource Engagements command option in the Resource Ribbon, but when I open Project Pro 2016 on the 2016 server, I do get the Resource Engagment command option.  I can create Resource Engagements in Project Pro 2016 on the 2016 server, but I do not get the option to "Submit" it.  I was assuming that's because it wasn't "activated".  I suppose it's possible that Microsoft removed the Resource Plan from PWA, renamed it to Resource Engagement and put it in Project Pro without added functionality of being able to actually submit it to a Resource Manager, but that seems like it would be a bit of dirty trick.  On a side note, when I was working with earlier versions of Project Server, I always used the MSProjectExperts admin guides (don't know if you're still with them or not).  In fact, I went to their training course for 2010 server admin.  It seems like no one published an admin book for server 2016.  Is that because it's so similar to Project Online?  Thanks

Thursday, February 21, 2019 10:05 PM
  • Joe --

I have misspoken about the Resource Engagements functionality, as I was working purely from memory, and my memory ain't so great some days.  To create Resource Engagements in a Microsoft Project schedule, you must apply the Resource Plan view.  With this view applied, you will see two new ribbons:  the Format ribbon and the Engagements ribbon with the Resource Plan Tools applied.  Using these tools, you can create Resource Engagements for your resources.  To submit the Resource Engagements, however, you must publish the project.  When the project is published, the Submit pick list button will be activated to you can submit them.

I do want to apologize for my mistake.  I hope I did not waste too much of your time.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 21, 2019 10:58 PM
  • Dale - You haven't wasted my time at all.  I appreciate you taking the time to help.  The issue is that even after I publish the project, the "Submit" button does not appear in the Resource Plan view.  I thought it might have something to do with the fact that we're not seeing "Activate" box for "New Resource Management Features Available" in the "Additional Server Settings."  Will keep looking.  Thanks
    Friday, February 22, 2019 3:41 PM