none
DNS acting irradically+plus issues when adding computers to domain "RPC server is unavailable" or sometimes "domain specified does not exist" RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently hosting a virtual server in vmware, I have already verified full network connectivity, and that my dhcp pools are correctly sending the correct DNS addresses to the client machines. The problem comes in when I try to add machines to the domain and resolving the name for my domain, what I mean by this is; nslookup resolves the name and ip address of the server, however, ping does not, a flush, and register of DNS fixes it but only momentarily. at which point the client machines will proceed to no longer resolve the name through ping. then testing to see if I can add the client machines to the domain when the name resolves, comes with the message of "welcome to the xxx domain" but then waiting a little longer comes with the error of "unable to add computer to xxx RPC server unavailable". I have searched the bounds of the internet for a solution and i have tried almost everything I find but it does not resolve my issue. Any ideas as to what could be going on here? I'm done searching and I think its time I ask someone with more expertise. Thank you in advance, all responses are welcome.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:37 AM

All replies

• Do you have firewall enabled in your network. If yes, might be blocking or filtering traffic to your DCs.

I would first recommend checking that your DCs are in healthy state and that your DCs IP settings are correct: http://www.ahmedmalek.com/web/fr/articles.asp?artid=23

Once done, make sure that DHCP configuration is reflecting your internal DC(s) as DNS server(s).

Also, you can use PortQryUI to check that the required ports (Check the link I provided) are not blocked or filtered.

As you are using VMWare, make sure that there is no NAT done between your client and DC.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, May 15, 2016 9:50 PM
  • Hi privatelobo,

In addition,you could try these:

1.Verify that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

a) Click Start , click Run , type ncpa.cpl , and then click OK .
    b) In Network Connections , right-click Local Area Connection , and then click Properties .
    c) Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties .
    d) In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog box, click Advanced .
    e) On the WINS tab, verify Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP is enabled, and then click OK three times.

2.Verify end-to-end network connectivity over UDP port 137 over the network path connecting the client being and the helper DC serving the join operation.

Monday, May 16, 2016 1:57 AM
  • There is a firewall enabled on the network, however, the server itself is behind this firewall. I have made sure that the DHCP pools created reflect the correct DNS server settings. Also there's no NAT being done at all, Thank you.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 6:17 PM
  • Hi privatelobo,

>>nslookup resolves the name and ip address of the server, however, ping does not

It seems there are multiple name servers on your network.Have you tried disable NETBIOS on TCP/IP?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:37 AM