SCOM Management Packs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have mutiple SCOM Management Servers in my environment. I have to install MPs but I am confused that do we only need to install MPs on a single Mgmt server or on all the Mgmt servers?

Also, I have a distributed environment where SCOM Reporting Server and web console are on different servers. Please suggest if it will affect my environment if I put both of them on the different servers.

Thanks in advance.

Abhinav | MCTS-Server Virtualization

Friday, March 28, 2014 3:19 PM

Answers

• If it's a distributed environment it's fine to install it 1 time. Even if you install a mgmt console on your own PC, and connect to the management server, you can install it from your PC.

We have 3 mgmt servers in our environment and if we install a MP, it's available on all mgmt servers.
    • Edited by vandyckruben Friday, March 28, 2014 3:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by abhiagg Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:40 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 3:23 PM
  • MPs are imported via the console (which is connected to the RMS/RMSE). After you've imported the MP, all of the management servers will "learn" that there's a new config and will request it and will download the MP.

"Fear disturbs your concentration"

Friday, March 28, 2014 8:14 PM
  • MPs are to be imported through the SCOM operations console. Once imported they will themselves reach out to all the Management Servers in the SCOM group.

To answer the second question, There is no harm in having the reporting role and web consoles on different servers. I too have it that way in many of my SCOM groups.

Hope this helped.

Thanks, S K Agrawal

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:46 AM

All replies

• If it's a distributed environment it's fine to install it 1 time. Even if you install a mgmt console on your own PC, and connect to the management server, you can install it from your PC.

We have 3 mgmt servers in our environment and if we install a MP, it's available on all mgmt servers.
    • Edited by vandyckruben Friday, March 28, 2014 3:25 PM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 3:23 PM
  • MPs are imported via the console (which is connected to the RMS/RMSE). After you've imported the MP, all of the management servers will "learn" that there's a new config and will request it and will download the MP.

"Fear disturbs your concentration"

Friday, March 28, 2014 8:14 PM
  • MPs are to be imported through the SCOM operations console. Once imported they will themselves reach out to all the Management Servers in the SCOM group.

To answer the second question, There is no harm in having the reporting role and web consoles on different servers. I too have it that way in many of my SCOM groups.

Hope this helped.

Thanks, S K Agrawal

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:46 AM
  • Thanks to all of you for clearing my doubt.

Abhinav | MCTS-Server Virtualization

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:40 AM