Unable to remove search service application - SP2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SSA that unfortunately lost its crawl database.  It's not a critical DB so I then tried to remove it via Central Admin.  The remove dialog appeared and I checked "remove data".  The dialog sat for at least half an hour and at that point I just killed it.  I then tried to remove using the Powershell cmdlet Remove-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication, which basically behaves the same way.  I say "Yes", but the command never returns.  

Is there another way to forcibly remove an application?

• Edited by stiga43 Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:51 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• I haven't seen a force there, but one might exist. Have you tried an iisreset prior to trying to delete it? You could also stop the SharePoint Server Search 14 service, or even provision another Search service and try moving your web apps over to the new one. Hopefully one of those will allow you to delete the existing service.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Solution:

“id retrieved from search application link” (if you hoover over it you'll see it)

So you have to fill in the quotes the GUID from the search application. If it's 97s2fgd9-453k-3423-f334-8r78jd3bv2t6 you have to give:

Reference to this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/88f7998f-4a88-4928-ba59-e76d7f6afcdc 

Alpesh Nakar's Blog Alpesh Just SharePoint Just SharePoint Updates

SharePoint Conference Southeast Asia Oct 26-27 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:21 AM
  • Alpesh,

That did the trick.  Thanks.  Although I got the id from Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication :-)  Didn't follow you on the hover

trick.  Regardless, it's gone :-)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Funny you marked your own post as the answer :)

Alpesh Nakar's Blog Alpesh Just SharePoint Just SharePoint Updates

SharePoint Conference Southeast Asia Oct 26-27 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator

Friday, July 30, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Cool Alpesh thanks for the trick it worked for me too!

I had the User profile Service Application stuck in "Stopping" state, I ran your command and it's now gone.

For those wondering about the hoover trick, simply go to CA > Application Management > Manage service applications and when you mouse over the link of a service application you see the Id in the status bar (http://servername:port/_admin/sssvc/ManageSSSvcApplication.aspx?AppId=31b493ff-da5f-4698-923f-b80683b8d9de)

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:27 AM
  • thanks!  awesome!
    Jonathan Herschel
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:11 AM
  • I have removed unsupported command from the answer here. We has seen that running this command on some objects makes farm unstable. Please Contact Microsoft Support if you run into situation where you can not remove any Object from SharePoint to find supported way to remove the object.

Reagrds,

Hiran
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Any body who is comes here for a trouble search service should try this

stsadm.exe -o deleteconfigurationobject -id "<insert Application Service GUID here>"

• Proposed as answer by Rizzk Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:25 PM