none
Unable to even install BHOLD Core RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have heard BHOLD horror stories.

I have talked to customers that tried and totally gave up on BHOLD.

In my work circles, no one has actually seen a functioning BHOLD deployment. 

So I decided to try BHOLD myself - and, behold,  the default installation even fails.

Here is my setup.

• 1 x domain controller (DC01 Windows 2012)
    • 1 x FIM 2010 R2 SP1 & SQL 2008 R2 server (FIM01)

BHOLDApplicationGroup created as a Global security Group.

B1user (BHOLD service account) created as a domain user.

B1User is member of:

• Domain\BHOLDApplicationGroup
    • Domain\Domain Admins
    • Domain\IIS_IUSRS
    • FIM01\Administrators
    • FIM01\IIS_IUSRS

B1User is SYSADMIN on the SQL server.

B1User has 'Log on as a service' on the FIM01 server.

But the BHOLD Core 5.0.1992.0 release fails to install with the following error:

"BHOLD Suite Core error 1923. Service B1Service could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services"

Could someone please shed some light on how to simply install BHOLD...?

Thanks,

SK

• Edited by Shim Kwan Friday, July 11, 2014 3:17 AM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 3:15 AM

All replies

• SK,

Enable MSI logging by using command like this from elevated cmd prompt:

MSIEXEC /i <BHOLDCore.MSI> /l*v BHOLDCORE.log

please post that log file here. Also, you can look for instances of 'return value 3', there should be some hints as to what in the install is failing within a few lines above this.

Friday, July 11, 2014 5:12 AM
  • SK,

This post provides and example of a MSI log file that shows an install error(a little different than yours perhaps, although i would check pre-reqs to avoid this as well):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18801.troubleshooting-bhold-core-installation-contact-your-support-personnel-or-package-vendor-custom-action-ca-coreproductgetwebsiteexists-script-error-2147217394.aspx

Friday, July 11, 2014 5:14 AM
  • Thanks Glenn, I have verified that the prerequisites listed in that URL are all deployed, and they have been there all along.

I have also run the setup as you suggested. I could paste the entire log file here, but it is very long. So for now, here are some extracts:

I have searched the entire log file, but there is nothing on 'return value 3'. Absolutely nothing.

This is the last section of the log file:

Action 16:02:06: InstallServices. Installing new services
    MSI (s) (E0:00) [16:02:06:212]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
    MSI (s) (E0:00) [16:02:06:212]: Executing op: ServiceInstall(Name=B1Service,DisplayName=B1Service,ImagePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\BHOLD\b1core\Service\B1Service.exe",ServiceType=16,StartType=2,ErrorControl=32769,,Dependencies=EventLog[~][~][~],,StartName=ADATUM\b1user,Password=**********,Description=The Microsoft BHOLD Suite - Core background service,,)
    InstallServices: Service:
    Error 1923. Service 'B1Service' (B1Service) could not be installed.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
    MSI (s) (E0:00) [16:02:11:703]: Product: Microsoft BHOLD Suite - Core -- Error 1923. Service 'B1Service' (B1Service) could not be installed.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:21 PM
  • Just curious, are you running installation under elevated privilege?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Shim Kwan,

To follow up on what Vladimir asked.............make sure you are running this from elevated cmd prompt and that installing user is a local administrator on this machine. If the above snippet from MSI file is precise then it does look like the problem is when the install is attempting to install service.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:00 AM
  • Thank you guys. Well after no configuration or reconfiguration, just 2 reboots of the server, BHOLD finally installed. But the service doesn't start now.

"The B1Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Unfortunately the customer has crossed BHOLD off their list, and are looking at an alternative product.

I, however, would like to continue to troubleshooting this - if anyone has any more ideas?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Sorry, I don't, but I can at least confirm that BHOLD does work - I've done a couple of live projects and know of a couple more. 
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Unfortunately still cant get the B1 Service to start.

Lets hope that BHOLD is either fixed (and working) or completely removed from the next FIM version.

Cheers

Friday, July 25, 2014 12:40 AM