"Activating Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed 3 Windows Server 2008 machines, and none of them asked me for a product key.  When the admin logs in I get an error in the lower right corner that the server is not activated, but I cannot find anywhere to enter the key I have.  I have a VLK for Enterprise and Datacenter server 2008, and these machines are on VMWare ESXi.  They have no Internet connection.

Help!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hello BwGreen,
    This forum is supposed to be for both Server and Client activation.  I thought they were going to link it to the server forum lists so it showed over there.
    Is the key you got a MAK key or a KMS host key? Check where you got the key and report back how the key was described.  You should be able to get either or even both a KMS or MAK key.
    With only three machine it probably needs to be a MAK key.
    Open an elevated cmd prompt
    run - slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    That should install the product key and allow you to activate.  If they have not Internet connection, you may need to use Phone activation.
    open the start menu
    right click on Computer and click properties, go down the Windows Activation section

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:28 PM

All replies

• Oh, and I know this is in the wrong place by the forum title- I was sent to thsi forum from the Windows VLK Activation page.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Hello BwGreen,
    This forum is supposed to be for both Server and Client activation.  I thought they were going to link it to the server forum lists so it showed over there.
    Is the key you got a MAK key or a KMS host key? Check where you got the key and report back how the key was described.  You should be able to get either or even both a KMS or MAK key.
    With only three machine it probably needs to be a MAK key.
    Open an elevated cmd prompt
    run - slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    That should install the product key and allow you to activate.  If they have not Internet connection, you may need to use Phone activation.
    open the start menu
    right click on Computer and click properties, go down the Windows Activation section

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Darrell

Thanks for posting the very hard to find location of the activation wizard for windows server 2008! Easy once you find it.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:43 AM