none
Steady State and Vista SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been glancing through some of the posts here and am wondering if it would be advisable to use Steady State with Vista Business SP2?

Now, I have yet to even look at the program but I can tell you what I want it to do (if it can do more, fine).

Freeze the configuration of computers in a school lab - like Faronics Deep Freeze. We do not need to save certain user settings.

If I can get it to accept Windows Updates without unfreezing, fine, but if I have to unfreeze, I can (what I do now with DF).

One question though: can I send a command to 15 computers (with Steady State installed) so that they unfreeze and reboot for maintenance?

Thank you in advance!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Le Pivert, thanks for the post. I assume that you are talking about the function “Windows Disk Protection” in Windows SteadyState with "Freezing".

Yes, we can install Windows Update without “unfreezing” if we enable Windows Disk Protection along with Schedule Software Updates. By default, Schedule Software Updates is enabled after turning on WDP. Also, we can use script to manage several computers to turn on or turn off Windows Disk Protection. I’ve included the script below:

dim objNet

On Error Resume Next

‘ Identify the computer to manage

Const strComputer= “.”

Const WDP_MODE_COMMIT = 2

Const SUCCESS = 0

Const FAILURE = 1

set objWbemServices = GetObject (”winmgmts:\\” & strComputer & “\root\wmi”)

set setWdpObjects = objWbemServices.ExecQuery (”SELECT * FROM WDP_Control”)

For Each objWdp In setWdpObjects

objWdp.CurrentMode = WDP_MODE_COMMIT

objWdp.Put_

Next

If Err.Number <> 0 Then

Wscript.echo “FAILURE”

Return FAILURE

Else

Wscript.echo “SUCCESS”

Return SUCCESS

End If

Meanwhile, as we do not support custom script development in this forum, you can refer to the following thread on how to write your own WDP related scripts:

Does anyone have any sample WMI code for Windows Disk Protection?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/bd28152a-676b-44c3-9890-557cd950bc89/  

You can also check the following KB article for information:

Description of the API for the Windows Disk Protection feature in Windows SteadyState

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=938335

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:31 AM