none
System Slow After Update/Restart RRS feed

• Question

• There have been a lot of postings about slow logons, but I'm not sure that my issue is related.  

I am testing WSS with WDP enabled on an XP SP2 client on a Windows 2000 network.  Autologon is enabled for a user account, which is locked down with group policy.  Updates (via WSUS) are scheduled for 9:00 a.m. daily.  Usually this arrangement works fine, but sometimes when the system restarts after an update, it is slow to respond to any input - so slow that it is nearly impossible to use the mouse, and keyboard response is equally delayed, as if the system is just too busy to deal with it.

This problem also shows up after logging on as Administrator, making changes, and rebooting.  In both cases, it disappears on the next reboot - which it is difficult to coax the machine to do because of the extremely slow response to input.

What should I be looking at?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi BanJoe,

Performance issue can be caused by several factors. You can check this issue through the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: Open Task Manager and check which process is consuming most of CPU or RAM.

Suggestion 2: Click Start and then Run. Type in eventvwr and click OK to open Event Viewer. Check if there is any hint of this issue.

Suggestion 3: To check whether this issue is related to SteadyState, you can also manually update the system to test.

Best Regards,

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi BanJoe,

Performance issue can be caused by several factors. You can check this issue through the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: Open Task Manager and check which process is consuming most of CPU or RAM.

Suggestion 2: Click Start and then Run. Type in eventvwr and click OK to open Event Viewer. Check if there is any hint of this issue.

Suggestion 3: To check whether this issue is related to SteadyState, you can also manually update the system to test.

Best Regards,

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:35 AM
  • Hello, Shawn.  Thank you for your reply.

The big CPU hog seems to be BAsFIPM.exe at 97%.  Some sites say it is spyware, but others say it is a Broadcom ASF IP monitoring service and should be left alone.  Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 2:27 PM
  • Hi BanJoe,

You can temporarily disable it to check the result.

---------------------------

1. Click Start, go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Startup tab, uncheck BAsFIPM.exe and click OK. (If there is no such process, switch to Services tab to disable related service.)

3. Please check this issue again. If everything works, we can keep the status.

Another choice is contact the device/service provider for direct assistance.

Regards,

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:49 AM