default outlook profile Office 2016 CTR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

It seems that ever since i have upgraded my Office apps from 2013 to 2016 CTR Pro Plus, when i open Outlook, it always prompts me for a default profile.

I can choose the option to select the default profile from the drop down menu and it works.

What i was hoping for was a way to control this using GPO.  Is this possible?

If possible, i would like the least amount of user interaction.

All user profiles already exist on each PC and have non standard profile names.

Also, i have already configured the "Automatically configure the profile based on AD primary SMTP address" set in my GPO as well as the 'ZeroConfigExChange' set to value '1'

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Monday, August 5, 2019 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi AngeloAnelloIT,

>>Do you know if a user has multiple outlook profiles but the 'default profile' is set to a value in the registry, will it always choose that option?

If there is a value set for "DefaultProfile", Outlook may set it as default when you are going to deploy "PickLogonProfile" key.

When checking on my side, if I haven't set a default profile before, the default value of "DefaultProfile" key will be the first profile name on this computer.

>>Also, if we recreate the users profile for testing but name it differently, do we need to change the 'default profile' value in the registry to match or will it automatically identify the one we assigned when creating the new mail profile?

Based on my test, you may need to change the 'default profile' value in the registry to match.

Considering your situation, we may create users’ profiles with a unified name, such as 'Outlook'. And then set it as default for all users.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, August 12, 2019 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by AngeloAnelloIT Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi AngeloAnelloIT,

According to my research and test, this can be set via registry keys. We need to add two values:

(Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

1. Set Outlook to not prompt for profile when starting.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options\PickLogonProfile

Value type = REG_SZ

1 = "Prompt for a profile to be used"

0 = "Always use this profile"

Set the value of PickLogonProfile to 0.

2. Set the default profile

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\DefaultProfile

Value type = REG_SZ

Value: the name of the profile

If users only have one profile on their computer, you can directly set ‘PickLogonProfile’ to 0. So, Outlook will automatically set it as default profile.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi Perry,

This is great.  Thanks for the update.

Do you know if a user has multiple outlook profiles but the 'default profile' is set to a value in the registry, will it always choose that option?

Also, if we recreate the users profile for testing but name it differently, do we need to change the 'default profile' value in the registry to match or will it automatically identify the one we assigned when creating the new mail profile?

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Hi AngeloAnelloIT,

>>Do you know if a user has multiple outlook profiles but the 'default profile' is set to a value in the registry, will it always choose that option?

If there is a value set for "DefaultProfile", Outlook may set it as default when you are going to deploy "PickLogonProfile" key.

When checking on my side, if I haven't set a default profile before, the default value of "DefaultProfile" key will be the first profile name on this computer.

>>Also, if we recreate the users profile for testing but name it differently, do we need to change the 'default profile' value in the registry to match or will it automatically identify the one we assigned when creating the new mail profile?

Based on my test, you may need to change the 'default profile' value in the registry to match.

Considering your situation, we may create users’ profiles with a unified name, such as 'Outlook'. And then set it as default for all users.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, August 12, 2019 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by AngeloAnelloIT Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Hi AngeloAnelloIT,

I'm writing to see if the reply is helpful to you.

If yes, it is recommended to mark it as an answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:38 AM