none
Windows Virtual XP starts but then stops RRS feed

• Question

• I have had Windows Virtual XP installed in my Acer TravelMate Windows 7 Pro laptop for a couple of years and it's always run without problem.

In the 3-4 months since I last used it it will not now run. It starts and the progress bar gets to 'Virtual' in 'Starting the Virtual Machine' but then it disappears off the screen. The two executables - vpc.exe and vmwindows.exe also stop running in Task Manager.

I have uninstalled the webcam software but I never suspected that as it's always been installed and this problem has only occurred in the last few months.

All Windows 7 Pro updates are up-to-date. I rely on this VM for my programmable remote control as the software only runs in XP. Hoping someone can help.

I do have the installation files - WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and WindowsXPMode_N_en-us.exe. If I uninstall are those the only two files I need?

Friday, June 16, 2017 2:03 PM

Answers

• By googling the error message in Event Viewer I have found the culprit. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling Virtual XP the process ceased during the setup.

It's caused by Avast blocking access to the virtual drives. To stop this happening open Avast - Settings - Troubleshooting and disable Enable Hardware-assisted virtualization. Reboot and problem solved.

I'll try to contact Avast and tell them off!

• Marked as answer by Ray Proudfoot Friday, June 16, 2017 6:03 PM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 6:03 PM

All replies

• By googling the error message in Event Viewer I have found the culprit. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling Virtual XP the process ceased during the setup.

It's caused by Avast blocking access to the virtual drives. To stop this happening open Avast - Settings - Troubleshooting and disable Enable Hardware-assisted virtualization. Reboot and problem solved.

I'll try to contact Avast and tell them off!

• Marked as answer by Ray Proudfoot Friday, June 16, 2017 6:03 PM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 6:03 PM
  • Hi Ray Proudfoot,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions. Always we could perform a clean boot to avoid the effects of third party software and disable security software to check. Some service or drivers could be blocked. Also event log has some information we could check.

Best regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 19, 2017 2:48 AM