creating view for exchange alerts only RRS feed

• Question

• how do I give access to another group to view or modify alerts for the exchange servers alerts? Should this be done on the web view or the scom console?
    Friday, June 13, 2014 12:30 AM

Answers

• You may create alert view which contains all exchange server related alert and then create a new operator user role with dashboard and view narrow to the exchange alert view.

Roger

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:56 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 1:02 AM
  • create a view that has all the Exchange server alerts.

then create a new operator user role, add the group that needs to have access and from the last page "Views and dashboards" select the view created above.

Operator User role will give them access to view and modify the alerts.

Thanks, S K Agrawal

Friday, June 13, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Rather than building another view, just create a new operator role (Exchange Ops - or whatever name you want to call it), scope it to the Exchange Views, and add their security group to that role.  Now they can log in to the console and they will be presented with ALL the alerts contained within the Exchange View.  If you have multiple versions of Exchange, scope them to all of them.

Now, if these Exchange ops people want to see ALL alerts on an Exchange server, then you would have to author a custom MP containing an instance group of windows.server/computer classes, create a view which would display all alerts for that instance group, then scope them to that particular custom view which would reside in your newly created custom MP.

Otherwise, if they just want Exchange related items, then scope them to the views and don't bother creating more.  That's my take on the situation, but the other suggestions work as well.  Just depends on what they want to see and how much work you want to make for yourself.  Explain to them, that if they are scoped to a specific MP view (Windows, IIS, etc) then they are going to mostly see alerts pertaining to those applications.  If you are monitoring hardware or clusters, and there are issues with hardware or clusters, then they may not see it in the Exchange alert view because of how the targeting is set up and presented.

Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

• Proposed as answer by Chunky.1 Friday, June 13, 2014 8:03 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Using that group scope will give them access, in the console, to see just Exchange.   We have operators who support one product.  We have them scoped to a group of computers and classes that contain their product.  When they use the SCOM console, they only see alerts and data pertaining to their app.  It's basically a filtering option.

Yes, they should be able to use the view in the web.  You might run into issues with STATE views, but alert views, should work just fine.

Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:00 PM

All replies

• You may create alert view which contains all exchange server related alert and then create a new operator user role with dashboard and view narrow to the exchange alert view.

Roger

Friday, June 13, 2014 1:02 AM
  • create a view that has all the Exchange server alerts.

then create a new operator user role, add the group that needs to have access and from the last page "Views and dashboards" select the view created above.

Operator User role will give them access to view and modify the alerts.

Thanks, S K Agrawal

Friday, June 13, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Rather than building another view, just create a new operator role (Exchange Ops - or whatever name you want to call it), scope it to the Exchange Views, and add their security group to that role.  Now they can log in to the console and they will be presented with ALL the alerts contained within the Exchange View.  If you have multiple versions of Exchange, scope them to all of them.

Now, if these Exchange ops people want to see ALL alerts on an Exchange server, then you would have to author a custom MP containing an instance group of windows.server/computer classes, create a view which would display all alerts for that instance group, then scope them to that particular custom view which would reside in your newly created custom MP.

Otherwise, if they just want Exchange related items, then scope them to the views and don't bother creating more.  That's my take on the situation, but the other suggestions work as well.  Just depends on what they want to see and how much work you want to make for yourself.  Explain to them, that if they are scoped to a specific MP view (Windows, IIS, etc) then they are going to mostly see alerts pertaining to those applications.  If you are monitoring hardware or clusters, and there are issues with hardware or clusters, then they may not see it in the Exchange alert view because of how the targeting is set up and presented.

• Proposed as answer by Chunky.1 Friday, June 13, 2014 8:03 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 7:47 AM
  • hi

thanks for the suggestions. When I go to create an alert view do I select View common targets or view all targets?

I am unable to select all the targets and only one at a time.  I need to get all the exchange alerts and give the exchange operator rights.

Friday, June 13, 2014 6:11 PM
  • Select view ALL targets, and look for the group you want.

Friday, June 13, 2014 6:32 PM
  • is this correct? There are so many groups
    Friday, June 13, 2014 9:21 PM
  • That's the distributed application/service.  You should be able to look at the e2k10 views and mimic those by using the same settings.

Friday, June 13, 2014 9:40 PM
  • still not sure. I just need all exchange alerts, but there are so many items under view all targets 1825 of them
    Friday, June 13, 2014 11:58 PM
  • So I just looked at the E2K10 Alert View (the very first view in the folder labled Alerts)

It is set up like so:

Criteria: Show data related to: Microsoft Exchange 2010 All Entities Group

Show data contained in a specific group: All

Select conditions: with specific resolution state (not equals 255 resolution state) (that' is the state for closed).

So if you create an alert view like this, then they will see all EXCHANGE 2010 Alers only.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:04 AM
  • Thanks. Just wondering what is the group scope tab for? Also does the user have to use the scom console to access the monitoring or can they use the web ?
    • Edited by JonDoe321 Saturday, June 14, 2014 4:45 PM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Using that group scope will give them access, in the console, to see just Exchange.   We have operators who support one product.  We have them scoped to a group of computers and classes that contain their product.  When they use the SCOM console, they only see alerts and data pertaining to their app.  It's basically a filtering option.

Yes, they should be able to use the view in the web.  You might run into issues with STATE views, but alert views, should work just fine.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:00 PM