none
Cable Modem (SMCD3G)

Question

• My new cable modem works fine with only one computer attached to it, but when I attach my SBS 2008 server, I can't get Internet access, and the server stalls during the boot where the screen says "Applying Computer Settings."  I had the system running smoothly with the DSL modem.  I get the same problem when the server is the only computer attached to the modem, that is, in lieu of the solo workstation that worked fine with the cable modem.  I'm desparate.  My small business will grind to a halt if I can't get the server attached to the cable modem.  Is there any step-by-step directions out there?  Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:23 AM

Answers

• You've given us everything from the IPconfig except the useful information, IP addressing, subnetting, default gateway.

From what little you have provided it appears you are running the SBS on a public IP with not NAT. Bad JuJu.

Change the cable modem to NAT mode, or attach a NAT router.

problem fixed.

• Marked as answer by Gorlaw Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Gorlaw Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gorlaw Friday, December 10, 2010 5:02 PM
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:47 AM
  • I had a problem when connecting the server to the switch some time ago.  Try connecting the server directly to the router, it worked for me.
    • Marked as answer by Gorlaw Friday, December 10, 2010 8:30 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 7:19 PM

All replies

• What is your business class static IP? What firewall/router device do you plan to use between the cable modem and the SBS? Please post an ipconfig /all for the server.

Steve

<Gorlaw> wrote in message news:bdfffecd-099b-48f9-9184-b01862bb7f0b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

My new cable modem works fine with only one computer attached to it, but when I attach my SBS 2008 server, I can't get Internet access, and the server stalls during the boot where the screen says "Applying Computer Settings." I had the system running smoothly with the DSL modem. I get the same problem when the server is the only computer attached to the modem, that is, in lieu of the solo workstation that worked fine with the cable modem. I'm desparate. My small business will grind to a halt if I can't get the server attached to the cable modem. Is there any step-by-step directions out there? Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:39 AM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by business "class" static IP?  My "usable" static IP is 173.160.39.205.

I was planning to use the Qwest wireless router between the cable modem and SBS, so I could set up wirless in addition to wired networking.

I can get to a command prompt only through safe mode.  The ipconfig /all returns the following:

Host Name - Server

Primary DNS Suffix - server.local

Node Type - Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled - No

WINS Proxy Enabled - No

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:57 AM
  • Hi,

I was planning to use the Qwest wireless router between the cable modem and SBS, so I could set up wirless in addition to wired networking

>> I think this method is what most of guys will us.

By the way, do you get the same issue if you connect the Qwest wireless router to the cable modem and then connect the SBS server to the router? You don’t need to test the SBS server individually if you want to connect several computes through a cable modem.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:10 AM
  • I'm not sure how you will actually use the Qwest wireless router if it is also the former Qwest DSL modem? Regardless that would be a low end consumer device and you should be using something designed for business use (like Watchguard, Sonicwall, Calyptix, or even Untangle). In safe mode without networking you won't get any useful info from an ipconfig /all. Go into the properties of the network connection and list all the parameters shown under the TCP/IP ipv4 settings.

Is the SMCD3G setup in bridge mode so that the static IP of 173.160.39.205 passes through to the internal side?

Steve

<Gorlaw> wrote in message news:b0761783-6525-420b-82a0-a5c76369589d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I'm not sure what you mean by business "class" static IP? My "usable" static IP is 173.160.39.205.

I was planning to use the Qwest wireless router between the cable modem and SBS, so I could set up wirless in addition to wired networking.

I can get to a command prompt only through safe mode. The ipconfig /all returns the following:

Host Name - Server

Primary DNS Suffix - server.local

Node Type - Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled - No

WINS Proxy Enabled - No

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 3:44 PM
  • I purchased a fancy new modem, but I'm still stuck.  I think I have two problems.  First things first:  When I tried to configure the SMCD3G, something happened to my server.  The system froze.  It freezes again on reboot.  I rebooted using the lask known configuration, but from there, I freeze again any time I look at the device manager.  Then, when I reboot, it freezes again, so I need to continuously hit F8 and reboot from the last know configuration.  I searched for "rstui.exe," but SBS 2008 doesn't have it.  I seem to have a partially installed device, with no way to fix it.  Ideas?
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Also, here is the rest of the ipconfig /all:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 2:

- Media State:  Media disconnected

- Connection Specific DNS Suffix Description: Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection #2

- Physical Address:  xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

- DHCP enabled:  Yes

- Autoconfiguration enabled:  Yes

Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection #8:

- Media State:  Media disconnected

- Connection Specific DNS Suffix Description:  isatap.<13384560-2EC5-4823-B728-265B47A54-D5D>

- Physical Address:  00-00-00-00-00-0E

-DHCP enabled:  No

Autoconfiguration enabled:  Yes

Thursday, December 09, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Here are some more efforts that have failed:  I tried running Uniblue's RegistryBooster.  The system froze before the program started.  I tried accessing the device manager through the start button and right-clicking on "computer."  When I clicked on "manage," the start menu froze and faded.  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried to actually install an new device, and the installing process froze.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Your problem certainly seems to be the SBS itself and nothing to do with a cable modem or other external device. It may be time to bite the bullet and call MS CSS since you have had so many ongoing problems.

Steve

<Gorlaw> wrote in message news:de8b5708-8316-454f-b74c-cf58ebfa1d41@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Here are some more efforts that have failed: I tried running Uniblue's RegistryBooster. The system froze before the program started. I tried accessing the device manager through the start button and right-clicking on "computer." When I clicked on "manage," the start menu froze and faded. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried to actually install an new device, and the installing process froze. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:36 AM
  • You've given us everything from the IPconfig except the useful information, IP addressing, subnetting, default gateway.

From what little you have provided it appears you are running the SBS on a public IP with not NAT. Bad JuJu.

Change the cable modem to NAT mode, or attach a NAT router.

problem fixed.

• Marked as answer by Gorlaw Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Gorlaw Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gorlaw Friday, December 10, 2010 5:02 PM
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Here's the stuff from a workstation attached directly to the cable modem (no router and no server):

IP Routing Enabled:  No

WINS Proxy Enabled:  No

DHCP Enabled:  Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled:  Yes

IPv4Address:  10.1.10.11 (Preferred)

Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0

Default Gateway:  10.1.10.1

DHCP Server: 10.1.10.1

DNS Servers:  68.87.85.98; 68.87.69.146

NetBIOS over Tcpip:  Enabled

I'm guessing that I attached the Server to the cable modem when were functioning as the DHCP Server, and they conflicted with each other.  Now, I can't seem to get a stable boot of the Server, and I am concerned about trying to connect the server to modem, even if the server is the only device connected to the modem.  On the other hand, I need to connect the Server to the Internet to reinstall SBS 2008 onto the server.  It's a Catch-22.  Somehow, I need to stablize the reboot of the Server, when the connection to the cable modem started the problem in the first instance.  Any other ideas?

Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Turn off the DHCP server on the router, connect SBS to it.

Tell us what happens if it doesn't boot.

If it does boot run the various SBS wizards (ICW and FMN, minimum).

Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:00 AM
  • In the spirit of taking it one step at a time, I enabled 1-to-1 NAT on the modem, connected it to a switch, and connected the switch to multiple computers.  Non of the computers received Internet.  I then connected the modem back to a single computer and confirmed that the Internet still worked on the one computer.  The JuJu is still bad.
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I then disabled the 1-to-1 NAT on the cable modem and install a D-Link wireless NAT router, using one of the workstations.  The installation was successful.  I then attached a switch between the modem and the workstation, and installed workstations to the switch.  The expansion was successful.  Everyone has Internet access.  However, the server is still not attached to the network, and of course, the server is the big taco de harina.
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I'm still not able to add the Server back to the topology.  I disabled DHCP on both the modem and the router, added the Server to the switch, and then restored power to the Server.  The Server continues to stall at the screen stating "Applying computer settings."  Any ideas?

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:29 AM
  • I had a problem when connecting the server to the switch some time ago.  Try connecting the server directly to the router, it worked for me.
    • Marked as answer by Gorlaw Friday, December 10, 2010 8:30 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Strange but true.  I connected the server directly to the router and got a normal start up.  Further, the server detected all of the other computers in the office, but I still can't get Internet access from the Server.  Now I am trying to run the FMN wizard and the ICW, but the system locks up.  If I get to the the ICW, the system freezes while attempting to detect existing networks.  I let it run for 15 minutes, but it remained frozen.  In the alternative, I've tried to FMN wizard first, but the Console freezes when I hit the connectivity tab.  Is there any way to start the FMN wizard without having to open the Console?
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:36 PM