none
PXE Booting a new laptop fails RRS feed

• Question

• We already have it up and running. When I PXE boot a new laptop before it gets to the first screen where I enter my credentials, I get a the following error message: “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart. (100% complete)

If you'd like to know more you can search online later for this error system thread exception not handled (ndis.sys)”

All I can find on this is related to BSOD which this really isn’t. I’m thinking maybe because the drivers needed for this new laptop aren’t in the boot.wim since this is a new model in our environment.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 4:09 PM

All replies

• Really sounds like a BSOD during Windows PE to me.
    Do you know if a dump file is being created? That would really help I guess.

Please tell us more about your environment.

Which laptop model?
    MDT version?
    AIK or ADK?
    Patches injected into the Boot Image?

• Edited by oriooff Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:20 PM
  • Haven't looked for a dump file. I've never seen this in a PE environment. Laptop Model is Dell Latitude E5450. MDT is 2012. AIK or ADK? not sure. What patches? The boot image is current. Works with other hardware.

tc

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:32 PM
  • i put in the Out of Box Drivers. I've never had to enter the name or MAC of a computer before when using Lite Touch. This answer doesn't sound accurate.

tc

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:34 PM
  • i put in the Out of Box Drivers. I've never had to enter the name or MAC of a computer before when using Lite Touch. This answer doesn't sound accurate.

tc

Sorry... Thought SCCM, but you're running MDT. Ignore my previous post.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:40 PM
  • UEFI with/without Secure Boot or Legacy BIOS?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:46 PM
  • If you are crashing ndis.sys I suspect the network driver is not for the version of AIK/ADK you are using.  For example if you are using WAIK 3.0/3.1 and the driver is on that is for Windows 8 or something then the network driver is greater than the version of NDIS and is unsupported.

Hermann's questions are important in that instance. You can easily verify what version of MDT and AIK/ADK you have by looking in add remove programs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:48 PM
  • We are having the exact same issue with a Dell Latitude E5450 and also the Latitude E7450. All works fine with older models.
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 4:15 AM
  • Update: I was able to get the system to boot OK into the next stage by disabling the wireless card (strangely enough) in the BIOS. With the wireless disabled the system continued without the ndis.sys BSOD and I just re-enabled once the build was done.

That isn't the final answer and is a workaround for now but least may help point in the right direction. I have sent this info back to our support team.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:29 AM
  • Lok for an update of your wireless Drivers.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:53 AM
  • Update: I was able to get the system to boot OK into the next stage by disabling the wireless card (strangely enough) in the BIOS. With the wireless disabled the system continued without the ndis.sys BSOD and I just re-enabled once the build was done.

That isn't the final answer and is a workaround for now but least may help point in the right direction. I have sent this info back to our support team.

I would exclude ANY wireless drivers from getting injected into your boot images.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:04 PM
  • I agree, no wireless drivers for PE. Look at this article - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

If you don't want to go all out with driver management, at least follow the part about PE and keep the amount of drivers needed for PE as light as necessary to help reduce issues during PE. Make sure you're using the right drivers for the version of PE that you are using. It's easier with Dell since they have different CABs depending on which PE version you are using - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Anders Kofoed Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:32 PM
  • Yes, Keep WinPE Image as small as possible.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:17 PM
  • This helped off my issue. 

The Latitude E7250 caused different errors during PXE boot. 
    After adding the Win PE5.0 Cab drivers to the WDS drivers it solved the problem!
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Thanks, o_jay; I disabled the wireless in BIOS and was able to boot.  Yes, this is a work around, but a good one.
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:31 PM
  • John, were you able to get it to work without disabling the wireless?
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:05 PM
  • I'm running into this same issue with a Dell Latiitude E7450.  We are using MDT 2013 and we are using the Total Control method of drivers.  I just looked at this link again  http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

and realized I don't have any folder for WinPE drivers, could this be the reason we are getting this issue?

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:03 PM
  • You should have a WINPE folder if you are using Total Control.

That may or may *NOT* be the cause of your issue.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:31 PM
  • We already have it up and running. When I PXE boot a new laptop before it gets to the first screen where I enter my credentials, I get a the following error message: “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart. (100% complete)

If you'd like to know more you can search online later for this error system thread exception not handled (ndis.sys)”

All I can find on this is related to BSOD which this really isn’t. I’m thinking maybe because the drivers needed for this new laptop aren’t in the boot.wim since this is a new model in our environment.

One of the issues I run into when I see this with Dell Latitudes is not changing the SATA Operations in the BIOS from "Raid" to "AHCI". Typically I needs to be set to AHCI. I hope this helps. 

- James

Monday, June 27, 2016 3:55 PM