Win8 IE10 Error when deleting cookies and/or resetting Internet Explorer settings RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone seen this error message when trying to delete internet files or trying to reset internet explorer settings using the internet options cpl? :

"The instruction at 0x574a0259 referenced memory at 0x00000000, The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program."

It only occurs if I have 'Cookies and Website Data' selected for deletion (Resetting Internet Options also tries to delete cookies, which is why it gets the same error.)

I created a new user profile on the same computer and from that profile, I do not get the error. I am able to delete all files in the roaming and low folders under the users profile manually and this does not clear the error.

Before anyone suggests 'just use the other profile', it's not that simple, some programs are tied to the used sid, so I have to figure this out. I ahve tried system restore as well, to the earliest date it has.

Monday, September 2, 2013 4:38 PM

Answers

• The only change from before clicking 'Delete' with cookies selected and after in Process Explorer is the additional RUNDLL process that shows the error message. Nothing else gets loaded or unloaded.

Are you looking at the loaded modules under  iexplore.exe?   Sort by Base Address and see if there is anything which would contain that failing address you showed us.

My thoughts are perhaps a temp folder IE is looking for no longer exists under the profile?

No.  It will be an executable.   Try using ProcMon then.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:31 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• "The instruction at 0x574a0259 referenced memory at 0x00000000, The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program."

Use ProcExp to see if anything gets loaded there before your crash.   Even better to use ProcMon but ProcExp would be easy.

I have to figure this out.

Then try ProcMon to see what is non-standard that is being loaded and figure out how to avoid that.   Chances are you will change your symptom then.  I suspect the crash will be happening after the offender has been unloaded.   Make sure that you have DEP enabled in case it helps cause an earlier more understandable symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, September 2, 2013 10:04 PM
    Answerer
  • The only change from before clicking 'Delete' with cookies selected and after in Process Explorer is the additional RUNDLL process that shows the error message. Nothing else gets loaded or unloaded.

My thoughts are perhaps a temp folder IE is looking for no longer exists under the profile?

• Edited by BBAHunter Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:47 AM

Are you looking at the loaded modules under  iexplore.exe?   Sort by Base Address and see if there is anything which would contain that failing address you showed us.

No.  It will be an executable.   Try using ProcMon then.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:31 AM
    Answerer