How to export MSU patch installers from WSUS content? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an important project where we have to install all patches for a bunch of OSes (many legacy OSes) into a disconnected high-security environment. (thousands of patches).  The environment is small and has no WSUS server inside, so I can't do a WSUS export/Import and deploy from an internal WSUS-- we have to get the patches copied in and installed manually.  Since WSUS already has all the patches, it seemed like the place to go to get a full set of patches out of its repository.  I found that using some PowerSHell against the WSUS API (the InstallableItems collection for each update), I am able to "export" all patches from WSUS's SHA-1 named files in the WSUSContent directory to a folder structure organized by product/update type/Article/architecture, and renaming installer files back to their original names.  It works great for most updates.
    The only problem is, all of the Windows 7/2008 R2 MSU-type files appear to be in a CAB format instead of MSU.
    For example consider KB2347290 for WS 2008 R2.  WSUS has a Windows7.6-KB2347290-x64.cab that is 223 KB in size vs the Windows7.6-KB2347290-x64.MSU that is 384KB  if you download the patch manually from Microsoft. 2x clicking the cab file allows you to browse the contents with no obvious way to "install" the update from the contents inside (Plus it is smaller than the MSU).  I tried changing the extension from cab to msu, and it returns a "file not found" error when you 2x click on it.

Is there any way to "extract" an installable patch for MSU-type updates out of WSUS?
    This would be a HUGE timesaver to be able to build a organized patch repository of all current patches (thousands of patches) for manual install where necessary.

• Edited by blueblade Monday, August 28, 2017 6:04 PM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 6:01 PM

Answers

All replies