Cannot delete SCOM connector RRS feed

• Question

• I configured an SCOM alert connector yesterday, and ever since then, none of my connectors (SCOM included) will synchronize. I've tried forcing manual syncs, rebooting the server restarting services, everything I can think of. Finally, I decided to remove the connector, thinking it was the only major change I had made to the environment since the last known good sync. When I try to remove the connector, I get a really helpful error message: "An error was encountered while running this task." There "additional information" for the ticket just repeats that message - no specific error number, troubleshooting steps, nothing. So I have two questions:

1) Is there any place to find log files that indicate what's going on in SCSM? I can't find any logs anywhere, nothing in event viewer, nothing within the console, etc. I'm hoping there's something I can see to view the status of running connectors, or view an error log. Anything.

2) How can I get the connector removed to see if that's the root of the issue? I've tried disabling, enabling, changing properties, and nothing works. I don't see any method in PowerShell to remove connectors either.

I'm trying to get SCSM configured to demo for a client - not a very impressive product so far when out of the box functionality is broken and the product doesn't give you any useful feedback or troubleshooting methods (that I have found).

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Topp
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:10 PM

All replies

• As for the first issue the connector not syncing the alerts:

There are two phases for creating the Alert connector. The first part involves creating the Alert connector on the Service Manager (SM)management server. The second part requires that you start the Operations Manager console and set up a subscription for the newly created connector. The subscription you create must be unique for the Alert connector; no connector created to point to Operations Manager should have a subscription that overlaps with another Operations Manager internal connector. Both phases are described in the following procedure.

If you did the first part on SM side but failed to create the subscription on the OpsMgr side then the alerts will not be marked for forwarding by OpsMgr and as a result your Alert connector will not bring any alerts from OpsMgr over to SCSM. For further step by step instructions please refer the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff461200.aspx

For the connector deletion issue: Can you post the exact steps that you are taking to delete the Alert Connector from SCSM console?  Just to confirm you are not receiving any errors in the Operations Manager event log on the Service Manager Management server while trying to delete the Alert connector?

The other option is to simply disable the existing Alert Connector and create a new one and follow the instructions on the above link to move forward.

-Manoj

Thanks! Manoj Parvathaneni Microsoft System Center Support
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Andrew,

Do you still need assistance with this issue?

Thanks! Manoj Parvathaneni Microsoft System Center Support
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem, the connector Operations Manager Alerts not remove. I changed the sever Operations Database and Data Warehouse server to another server. After this the SCOM works perfect, not present any problem with agents distributed.

But SCSM do not permit i delete the connector, I disabled the existent connector and create a new. The sync is not occur and do not show me any error.

Any sugestion.

Thanks

Daniel Marreiro

Marreiro
    Monday, February 14, 2011 4:35 PM
  • I have that problem too.

I reinstalled my SCOM server with a different name. I had two connectors in Service Manager pointing to the old server. I've managed to delete SCOM CI connector, but I cannot delete the old alert connector. I select it in SM console, click on Delete link, answer Yes (I really want to delete it), and... nothing happens. The connector stays undeleted, although a message appears in Operations Manager log: "Successfully deleted Operations Manager connector "NAME". The connector was deleted by user account administrator."

Now Operations Manager console shows that SM server health is degraded because the obsolete connector cannot access the old SCOM server.

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Having the same problem!

Solution requested!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:50 AM
  • I'm encountering the same problem.. Solution requested!
    Friday, August 24, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Hi

I am also having this problem of not being able to delete an Operations Manager connector. I have tried everything including various powershell scripts. I am able to create new connectors to other services like AD and Exchange however they do not synchronise. I am able to delete these newly created connectors but just not the SCOM one. the status of the scom one says finished with errors but cant find anything else to point me in the right direction.

I am running SCSM 2012 R2.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Morning,

I saw your post and wanted to offer a solution:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/09/10/removing-an-old-product-connector.aspx

Simple procedure is to apply Kevin Holman's fix to bot the OperationsManager Database and the ServiceManager Database. This will remove the connectors.

NOTE: Make sure you remove the subscriptions from the Internal Connectors in SCOM first. 

• Proposed as answer by Mark Stone Thursday, November 6, 2014 9:27 AM
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 9:27 AM