Skype for Business contacts storing old AD data. How to remove old AD data? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently found that Skype for Business Contacts of Outlook is a mess!  Old phone numbers are still kept inside these contacts.

Here’s what happened:

We have Skype for Business 2015 in premise (and Exchange Server 2016 in premise if this info helps).

A co-worker, Mr. X, has recently changed his mobile phone number.  So I’ve changed his phone number in the AD.  But several days later, I was told that several persons inside my company called Mr. X but the number was wrong.  We are using Cisco’s VoIP system which has this “Cisco Jabber” client software doing searches in AD and Outlook contact.
    After some investigations, I found that these people all have Skype for Business Contacts inside their Outlook (cf image below).

And inside their respective Skype for Business Contacts, Mr. X contact is present because they have added Mr. X in their Skype for Business' Favorites list.  And this contacts inside Skype for Business Contacts shows the old phone number and the new number!

To make it easier to understand, I have done a little test using a test account inside AD that I added in my Skype for Business' favorite list.

Inside AD, I added a phone number (+33111222333) in its user account.  Then several days later, I changed its phone number to +33333222111, again inside its AD user account.  Here is what I see for this contact inside my Skype for Business Contacts:

You could see that the old and the new mobile numbers are both present.  That’s a total mess!

Why Skype for Business Contact is keeping the old data from AD?
    Is there a way to make it smarter to update from AD and remove old data?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Horinius Monday, January 14, 2019 2:05 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest you check the AD attribute to make sure there is no duplicate setting for the number.

Please use the ABS Configuration Tool to explicitly check the AD attribute which is used to enable administrators to specify the Active Directory Domain Services attribute to be included or excluded in the Address Book Service files. 

It provides a graphical view of the information that can be distributed with the downloadable address book file.

Please make sure the OC Field Name is different set as following:

You could find ABS Configuration Tool in the following path locally in your Address Book server.

Path: %ProgramFiles%\Skype for Business Server 2015\Reskit

After checking that, please run “Update-CsAddressBook” in SFB Mgmt shell to update the address book manually.

If it still displays the two phone number, please try to check if the user has the phone number set in Outlook from the user side, please make sure the user have the blank number with no old number added, click "Edit Outlook Contact" like the following to check:

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

Hi,

I would suggest you check the AD attribute to make sure there is no duplicate setting for the number.

<snipped>

You could find ABS Configuration Tool in the following path locally in your Address Book server.

Path: %ProgramFiles%\Skype for Business Server 2015\Reskit

I don't have the "Reskit" sub-folder at the indicated folder, so I cannot run ABS Configuration Tool.  But I don't think this is necessary but there is ONE and ONLY ONE mobile number in the user object (look the image below):

The mobile phone value is the NEW one.

So I suppose I could jump to your next paragraph below:

After checking that, please run “Update-CsAddressBook” in SFB Mgmt shell to update the address book manually.

Done.

Nothing changed in Outlook & S4B.  So I quit Outlook and S4B and restart them again, but still not working.

If it still displays the two phone number, please try to check if the user has the phone number set in Outlook from the user side, please make sure the user have the blank number with no old number added, click "Edit Outlook Contact" like the following to check:

Your answer above is not clear.  What did you mean by "user"?  Me or "Test B User"?  I have the feeling that your "user" means me.

In my "Skype for Business Contacts", I open "Test B User" contact and this is what I got:

The mobile phone value here is wrong (ie the old one).

However, this dialog is shown ONLY if the "current view" (inside the ribbon menu) is set to Business Card.  If "current view" is set to People, I have the screen shot in my original post where BOTH mobile numbers are shown.

What a mess!

• Edited by Horinius Monday, January 21, 2019 3:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

>>>Your answer above is not clear.  What did you mean by "user"?  Me or "Test B User"?  I have the feeling that your "user" means me.

Please kindly note the user I meant is from "Test B User" side, the contact card could be edited in Outlook.

Please try to log on with Test B account, and make sure the number tab is empty without old number existing.

In addition, please also check the phone settings in SFB client, sign in with Test B account, and then check "Phones" settings in "Options". Remove the old number if it is added under "Mobile Phone", like the following panel:

Revert back if any.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:41 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the clarification.

> Please kindly note the user I meant is from "Test B User" side, the contact card could be edited in Outlook.

Did you really mean in Outlook or Skype for Business?   Because I have never known I could edit my own contact card (that could be seen by others) in Outlook.  I only know that this information comes from Active Directory.

> Please try to log on with Test B account, and make sure the number tab is empty without old number existing.

The number is NEITHER empty NOR old number.  The Mobile Phone field is written with the new phone number.

To make it easier to understand, let me put the following screenshots:

* In MY side
       -  "Test User" contact as seen in People view:

-  "Test User" contact as seen in Business Card view:

* In TEST USER side, seen inside S4B options:

So, my question is still the same: why these S4B contacts are not automatically updated from Active Directory when there are changes?

Monday, January 21, 2019 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

The contact info will automatically change if you modify from AD in general. 

But if the number was added from the user side before, then it will affect the actual end display.

The contact card in Outlook could be edited after the user adds himself in Outlook contact like the following:

Log on Outlook, and right click our own address and select "Add to Outlook Contacts", then you will be able to find yourself in Outlook Contacts, click Edit, and check if you ("Test B user") have the old number added under the "Phone numbers".

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:40 AM