Unable to complete upgrade from MOSS 2007 to 2010..error during prod config wizard " RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving this error while i run the product configuration wizard. Failed to initialize SharePoint Products upgrade..... Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "SharePoint_Config_e2ff7b0e-d688-4c63-9ba3-fc8ee9170ba6" requested by the login. The login failed."  Login failed for user MYDOMAIN\myaccount

I am the domain admin, i logged in using my admin account, I have local admin rights.  I opened sharepoint in the management studio found the database in question and noticed that the account dbo is linked to my domain admin account???  So its saying that i am the owner, so why cant i open....i cant open central management either.....Any help greatly appreciated!!!

MORE LOG DETAILS

09/04/2013 15:02:24  6  ERR                Task initialize has failed with an unknown exception 
    09/04/2013 15:02:24  6  ERR                Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "SharePoint_Config_e2ff7b0e-d688-4c63-9ba3-fc8ee9170ba6" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'MYDOMAIN\myaccount'.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior, SqlQueryData monitoringData, Boolean retryForDeadLock)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, Boolean retryForDeadLock)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.PreviousFarmTooBigForInplaceUpgrade(String& message)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.InitializeTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi kristofour1970,

Have you checked the user account in SQL Server? Open Sql Server Management Studio, make sure the user account have dbcreator, dbowner permission on the expected database.

As the error message indicate that is a permission issue, if your account has expected permission, check whether your account name has changed, I have seen a similar issue shows the account name different in SQL database, as it has been changed before, re-add the account, or use other account, check the issue.

Thanks,

Qiao

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:40 AM
  • I enabled the sql sa account logged in and opened up everything for that account and still cant....I created a new domain admin account added it to sql database opened up the security for it, logged in with that account AND STILL GET SAME ERROR...ERGGGGG!!
    Friday, September 6, 2013 10:57 PM