Allowing different types of files to be transferred RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using SteadyState in my small cafe. Everything is working fine as expected however with a small annoyance.
    The scenario is as follows:

machines are windows xp machines
    ============================
    1. My Documents folder of the each unit is shared so that files could be transferred from/to server.
    2. Program cannot be executed outside the Program Files folder.
    3. User have a administrative privilege for some older games compatibility
    4. If client need to upload/download files, their USB drives are scanned in the server for virus and files can be transferred only through server. USB drives are disabled in the client machines.
    ============================

Problem:
    ================
    I can transfer any kind of file from server to these public machines but reverse is not true for some types of file like EXE, BAT, VBS, PDF, XLS etc. Whenever I try to copy/move these types of file from client shared folder to USB drive in server, it shows up the Access denied message box.
    ================

Solution I came up with:
    =================
    Create a folder within My Documents and move the needed files in that folder and move/copy these folder.
    ================

although this solution works, its tiresome. Everytime client needs to transfer thier downloads/attachments in their USB user intervention is required. I wish I could transfer these files without disturbing client.

My question:
    ==========
    The denied access is due to the security measure by SteadyState however is there a way to customize this so that I can customize what types of files are allowed (similar to blocking of programs features in SteadyState)?
    ============

Thanks

Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the issue occurs with all USB drives, or individual drives? Can you access the USB drive from other computers without any problem?

If this issue is caused by the option "Prevent write access to USB storage devices", not only specified format of files, but all kind of files cannot be transferred into the USB drive on the server. Please let us know if you can transfer other kinds of files properly. Additionally, please let us know the system versions of the Windows XP computers. Are they Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows XP Professional? If they are Windows XP Professional, have you disabled Simple File Sharing and share the folders with Guests account?

I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall on the server computer, and then test if the issue occurs.

If the issue persists, feel free to let us know.

Friday, January 9, 2009 8:29 AM
  • >Does the issue occurs with all USB drives, or individual drives?

It is not related to USB drive at all. Sorry If I was not clear about this.

What I mean is:
    I cannot access (copy/move/delete) the certain types of files (exe,pdf, even XLS files) in shared folder (My Documents) in the public computer (running SteadyState) from the server (which is not running SteadyState) through network. Though other files like DOC, DOCX, jpeg etc are freely accessible.

By the way public computers are running Windows XP Home Edition (with SteadyState) and server is XP professional (for accounting and timing).

Thanks

Friday, January 9, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Hi Fanta,

Since all of your client computers are Windows XP Home Edition, if anyone want to access a client computer from Network, Guest account must be enabled.

Enable the Guest account

=============

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type in "CMD" and press enter.

2. In the command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each line:

net user guest /active:yes

exit

I suggest that you boot one of the client computer with Guest account. Then check if the issue still occurs. If so, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus on that client computer.

If the issue does not occur if you boot with Guest account, I suggest that you boot every client computer with Guest account. You may boot with another administrator account and set the restrictions for the Guest account.

Monday, January 12, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

I noticed that the files created locally on the client computer (word/excel/openoffice documents etc) are accessible; however if the files downloaded as e-mail attachments  (any kind of file) is denied access. I have tested this with Antivirus enabled and disabled but it is still the same. Also tried enabling Guest account in client computers but no effect at all.

I don't know if is the security feature of the SteadyState or  XP Home Edition but my guess is it has something to do with SteadyState.

Before SteadyState I was using "Shared Computer Toolkit" and I didn't had any problem like this. Was using same Antivirus then.

Only things changed is migrated from Shared Computer Toolkit to SteadyState

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:33 AM