none
Top level folders in Outlook (Online) now called IpmSubtree

Question

• Hi Folders in outlook (online version) I created that where just emails for the names of the folders are now called IpmSubtree - in phone app is still OK.

and I if you go to rename them - right click - they show the orginal name and then I rename to see if it fixes  but  still goes to

IpmSubstree..

Just before I did this I ran Troubleshooter https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027498/windows-10-run-the-troubleshooter-for-apps

If that helps thanks

• Edited by rusty1001 Wednesday, November 08, 2017 11:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which type of email account are you using? Exchange, IMAP or POP3?

By "Outlook (online version)", do you mean the Outlook online app?

Do you have this email account set up in other mail client, such as Outlook desktop?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 09, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi I mean OUTLOOK online through web browser -  (note to MS this is where it gets confusing - there are 3 versions, MAIL App (PC and Phone) OUTLOOK DESKTOP PC mail program and ONLINE in browser, there should be slightly different names because searching for help is hard because you don;t know what people mean - Should OUTLOOK DT, OUTLOOK MAIL, OUTLOOK ONLINE - something to that effect)

The APP on PC and on Phone (iphone) are fine....

In the online version web browser access (with Firefox) where there are folders with subfolders the parent is

"IpmSubstree"

Subfolders are correct and it seems only folders that where named with an email ie other@myemail.com

Other folders previously named ie "Important emails" with sub folders are fine...

Ironically this is after I ran W10 trouble shooter which should effect off line stuff ?

No Desktop Outlook Version, and dont really use MAIL APP on PC, only phone (iphone 5)

Thanks

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:40 AM
  • I have the same issue. It just started today on several different computers. 

I am using outlook.com (ie hotmail) with several linked accounts. ALL the linked accounts now have their toplevel folder named IpmSubtree. Right Click then Rename shows the original name of the folder.

• Edited by Marty_NZ Friday, November 10, 2017 4:10 AM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 4:09 AM
  • I have the same issue. It just started today on several different computers. 

I am using outlook.com (ie hotmail) with several linked accounts. ALL the linked accounts now have their toplevel folder named IpmSubtree. Right Click then Rename shows the original name of the folder.

Hi Did you run windows trouble shooter before that, mine happened around that time? Definite bug somewhere.. cheers
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Nope did nothing at all out of the ordinary. It's not unique to one computer. I access outlook.com from three different laptops and three different OS's. Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 10 Enterprise and MacOS High Sierra. All display the same behaviour. It's not a desktop issue IMO. 

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Im getting same issue as of last week.  Only via my mobile phone does my folders show fine.  If I switch to Beta version of Outlook (top right "Try Beta Version"  All my folder names go back to how they should be.  This has nothing to do with the computer, its to do with something else which I dont know at this time, but I have loads of linked accounts now all showing the same sub folder.
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:09 PM
  • The beta version introduces other problems, for example if you try reply to a message received by a linked account it gets all screwed up.

In general the beta is ok, but it's not stable enough for me yet.

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:53 AM
  • With "Try beta" is gone, so is current Outlook.com issue.

But I hate beta version, it just seems to hard to read.... I don't know...

Took me a while to get used to current version because I think the previous was better, now they want

use to change again....

thanks

• Edited by rusty1001 Monday, November 13, 2017 9:36 PM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 9:10 PM
  • Same issue here, using outlook.com, with multiple linked accounts. ALL the linked accounts have the "IpmSubtree" but right-clicking displays the name of the linked account. I switched to Beta and the issue goes away - but I've never liked the Beta. Hopefully, this gets fixed soon.

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:36 PM
  • Hi rusty1001,

Thank you for the update and the good suggestions. 

This forum is for questions and feedback related to Microsoft Outlook desktop application, since this issue happens only in Outlook.com web app, I'd recommend you post a new question to the forum dedicated to Outlook.com online app:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:29 AM
  • Steve as a moderator can you move the thread rather than losing the information already provided.
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Hi Marty,

I'll be glad to do this if I could, however, the dedicated Outlook.com forum is not an Technet forum, the option is not available to move Technet threads to the Answers community forum :-(

Maybe someone of you could help post to the Outlook.com forum and share the thread URL here. Appreciate your understanding and support.

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:35 AM
  • I have thesame problem all named IpmSubtree. Also my main account is not receiving emails and when I go to the overview it appears to have disapeared
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:52 AM
  • Same problem this week; all my sub folders are now called IpmSubtree. It's very confusing and not obvious how to correct this problem.
    Friday, November 17, 2017 8:28 AM