New WSUS Server installed Server 2012R2-->what to do with all these updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have my new Lab all setup with WSUS and so far all looks good. My VM is Win7x64 Ultimate no SP installed(Should I  install first?)I synced the Server and now I need to approve all the updates which is my question. What's the best approach? I only checked WIN7 updates to make my life easier at this point but I still have 1656 updates to deal with thanks.

Ok Pro's what do(did) you do at this point?

Thanks all!

Sunday, April 16, 2017 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Tony Heywood,

1. When WSUS server sync updates, it only download the metadata of the updates into SUSDB; When approve updates, WSUS server will download the binary update files into Content folder;

2. So, in order to save the space of the disk which stores in Content folder, we may only approve the updates that report as needed by clients;

3. We may filter the updates like this:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Tony Heywood,

1. When WSUS server sync updates, it only download the metadata of the updates into SUSDB; When approve updates, WSUS server will download the binary update files into Content folder;

2. So, in order to save the space of the disk which stores in Content folder, we may only approve the updates that report as needed by clients;

3. We may filter the updates like this:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Hello,

I have my new Lab all setup with WSUS and so far all looks good. My VM is Win7x64 Ultimate no SP installed(Should I  install first?)I synced the Server and now I need to approve all the updates which is my question. What's the best approach? I only checked WIN7 updates to make my life easier at this point but I still have 1656 updates to deal with thanks.

Ok Pro's what do(did) you do at this point?

Thanks all!

Yes, I would install as much of Win7x64 Ultimate as possible before patching, so do install the service pack 1st. 

Here is a good guide to install Windows 7 from scratch, it tells which updates to install 1st.
    https://www.askwoody.com/2016/how-to-install-windows-7-from-scratch/

Hope this helps.

• Edited by antwesor Monday, April 17, 2017 1:04 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Thanks so much this will really help!

--Tony

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Thanks so much for the info I appreciate it very much.

--Tony

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:04 PM