Outlook 2010, some messages open in edit mode.. why? RRS feed

• Question

• Usually, if double-clicking an email in the inbox, per default it is opened in read-only mode. 

I got a PST file which is basically a restored backup from an Office 365 account. I attached it to Outlook 2010. 

If I double-click on a message in the inbox of the PST file, all messages will open in edit mode. How come?

Please note that I double-click in the same Outlook session, once in the Inbox mirrored as .OST from the active Office 365 account and then double-click in the Inbox of the attached PST file, ehich should be an exact copy of the Office 365 Inbox from an earlier time).

This is in Outlook 2010 on Windows 10, connected to Office 365 Busines Essentials. Backup/Restore was done with a 3rd party tool which uses a specific Office 365 account with backup rights. Restore was done by the same 3rd party tool to a PST file. 

The Inbox and messages class is always IPM.Note. 

Why does Outlook 2010 open a message in read-only mode while opening others (in the PST inbox!) in edit-mode?

Is there an attribute or something which I could check on? 

Could it be that the 3rd party backup program is changing the messages, either while backing up or restoring? If yes, what could be the change? Where could I see it?

Thanks for any pointer, idea or hints.

Dan

• Edited by Dan_Hu_ Monday, September 25, 2017 6:58 PM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Does this issue continue if we try starting Outlook in safe mode? To do this, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter. This will help determine whether the issue was caused by a problematic add-in.

If possible, we may also try copying the PST file to another computer and then see whether the issue follows the PST file. We may also consider to scan and repair the PST file using the Inbox Repair Tool and then see the result. For your convenience:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

Besides, please also try creating a new PST file in Outlook and then copy these problematic emails to the new PST file and see whether this issue continues.

Please let us know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the answer.

I think the issue is in the messages, not in the PST file. Here is what I did, based on your suggestions.

The PST file is rather large and I am on a remote location.

I created a new PST file in Outlook 2010. Then I copied some emails from the Office 365 account's Inbox over to that new PST into. Those are messages that open normally in read-only mode.

Then I copied some messages from the restored PST file into the same new PST. Those are messages that open in edit mode

Disconnected PST, moved it to my PC and attached to Outlook 2016 (don't have Outlook 2010 available)

Result: The messages from the Office 365 account inbox show as expected as read-only messages when I open them. The messages from the restored PST show as draft messages (I think). See partial screenshot.

yellow marked: from office 365 inbox

greenish marked: from restored pst

It looks to me as the restored messages from the pst represent themselves as draft messages instead of received messages. I would assume that within the mesage there is some kind of attribute that says it's a draft or an email or whatever..

so, how can i determine what is the root cause? I really think that the restore process is assigning wrong attributes to the messages. Or whatever the correct name for "attribute" is.. 

Do you have a hint?

Dan

• Edited by Dan_Hu_ Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:47 PM fixed typo
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Anyone?
    Friday, September 29, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Thank you for the update, Dan.

>>Backup/Restore was done with a 3rd party tool which uses a specific Office 365 account with backup rights. Restore was done by the same 3rd party tool to a PST file.

Have you contacted the support of the 3rd party restore tool and confirm whether this is a normal behavior with the tool?

Antivirus is usually a common cause of such an issue. If possible, try temporarily disable your antivirus, and then try to create a new restore PST file again to see the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, October 6, 2017 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:00 AM