none
Tracking Level of Effort (LOE) for multiple persons. RRS feed

• Question

•  Should be relatively easy one:   I am in the process of developing a work plan for a proposal.  I need to track cumulative LEVEL OF EFFORT for all team members.  Cannot seem to make it work.

For example: If I have one person working for 5 days full time I get the task to show 5 days  LOE for him and 5 days duration, however if there will be two persons on the task, then project reduces the duration to 2.5 days.  I want it to track both persons for 5 days each and show 10 days total LOE. How do I set this up? Thanks!

Friday, October 30, 2015 2:52 AM

All replies

• It is clear that "level of effort" means work, in man-hours, or just hours, in MSP.

The reason the task behaves as it does when you add the second resource to the 5 day task is because of the two important settings in task information, advanced, task type and effort driven

For a quick fix, you can just type back in the duration of 5 days and it will be as you want it.
    Each resource has 40 hours of work for a total 80 hours for the task.

Otherwise, you can choose an appropriate combination of task type and effort driven before you make the assignment change to get the result you want.

Task type, can be one of three possible and effort driven can be on or off, so there is only 6 possible outcomes, or 5 really since fixed work always has effort driven turned on.

What you describe looks like fixed units with effort driven on. This was the default for MSP versions up to 2007 but in MSP 2010 the default is fixed units with effort driven off. This seems to be less confusing for people, or more in line with what people expect.

When you made the resource assignment change by assigning the second resource, you must have seen the green triangle in the cell corner, and the yellow diamond with the exclamation mark and the drop down list of suggestions.

Does this help?

Friday, October 30, 2015 6:19 AM
  • LKendrick,

Normally LOE type effort is associated with fixed duration tasks. That basically says that effort is expended, (or at least logged as having been expended), over the period of performance whether or not anyone actually worked on the task. For that reason, it should be used sparingly. It is intended to cover the type of task for which there is no good metric to measure performance (e.g. management effort, intermittent support effort, etc.). For multiple resources assigned to a fixed duration task it is easier to turn off the effort driven option.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, October 30, 2015 3:53 PM