none
Recover a project plan in project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project 2010 and Project Server 2010. A project plan was corrupted and unfortunately the automated daily backups were not configured when server was originally loaded. Is there any way to get a copy of a project plan from a specific date? The OLAP is run nightly - can we run a querry on a past OLAP to recover some of the data?

I read that "Project Server 2010 backs up all objects to the Archive database, regardless of whether you schedule automatic daily backups or manually back up the objects" How can I access this location?

Thanks,

Regina

Regina

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Regina,

Unfortunately, the OLAP cubes cannot help you recovering a file version, since it calculates project timephased data but overwrite data each time it is built. 

If you don't have any backup of the file (through the daily admin backup), I can see 2 ways :

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Regina --

To add to the excellent reply from Guillaume, no, Project Server 2010 DOES NOT back up all objects to the Archive database, regardless of whether you schedule automatic daily backups or manually back up the objects.  Whoever told you that is flat out WRONG!  Whomever set up your Project Server 2010 system failed you at the very beginning, as he/she should have set up the Automatic Backup option at initial set up.  Therefore, if it has not been do so already, I would recommend that your Project Server administrator set up the Automatic Backup feature immediately, if not sooner.

Regarding the corrupted project, how do you know it is corrupted?  Are you able to open the project?  If you are able to open it, you may be able to resolve the corruption by using the Save for Sharing feature.  If you cannot open it at all, then you are out of luck, and will need to rebuild the project from scratch.

Hope this additional bit helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:46 AM