How to get all the files out of SharePoint 2007 document library that contains almost 60k file items RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a total of almost 60,000 files in our SharePoint 2007 document library and wanted to get all these files and be accessed and mapped via a network drive. I tried viewing the documents by going to Actions> Open with Windows Explorer but I'm getting a error message like this.

error message when viewing trying to access via windows explorer

I have tried accessing other libraries with lesser files items on it and I'm able to view the windows explorer fine. Is there a file number limit when viewing via windows explorer?

Also I tried, mapping the site to a network drive but it won't let me as well and I'm getting this error message as well.

error when trying to access and map in a network drive

Does anyone know what's wrong here? or do you have any other suggestion or other way on how we can get all the files out of SharePoint via a UNC path or any mapped network drive?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 7, 2015 7:11 PM

Answers

• Follow the link to use powershell in moss

http://get-spscripts.com/2011/03/using-powershell-scripts-with-wss-30.html

sachin

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:24 PM

All replies

• It is due to your document library has exceeded List view threshold limit so you are getting that error. To work with document library you have 3 choices

- Increase LVT to more than 60,000 temporarily while you work on the list

- Define daily window for unlimited list work from central administration for the web application containing this document library and work on list during that time.

- Or disable list throttling on this document library using following     $Site  =  Get-SPWeb –Identity <URL> $List  =  $Site.Lists["List Name"] $List.EnableThrottling =  $false $List.Update() or SPManager

sachin

• Edited by Xmantra Monday, December 7, 2015 7:34 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 7:33 PM
  • Thanks so much for the quick answer Xmantra. But before I do any of these, will this also get the corresponding metadata for each document items in the library?

I'm not sure how to do choice 2.  Also for choice 3, is it a powershell script? (as I'm also not sure how to apply it)

Thanks Again.

Monday, December 7, 2015 7:49 PM
  • For all 3 choices, you need to be farm admin. If not you can ask your farm admin. i am not sure about metadata part but i think it preserves it. 

sachin

• Edited by Xmantra Monday, December 7, 2015 8:05 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Yes I am a fram admin but I'm not sure if these 3 choices are applicable for SharePoint 2007 . I've search for ways on how to do it but I'm only seeing results for SharePoint 2010 and 2013

Monday, December 7, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Follow the link to use powershell in moss

http://get-spscripts.com/2011/03/using-powershell-scripts-with-wss-30.html

sachin

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:24 PM