Fab 40 and creating new sites RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working on steps to upgrade our environment from MOSS2007 to 2010 Enterprise. From what I've read on the Fab40 templates, sites that were built with them can be upgraded, but new sites cannot be created with them. So what I was thinking I had to do was install the solutions we had deployed in 2007 (we're using 5 application templates) to 2010. Once I do that, my test-spcontentdatabase commands come back relatively clean. However, users CAN create new subsites with the installed templates, and admins can create new site collections with them.

I thought creating new sites based on these were blocked somehow? Or am I going about the upgrade process incorrectly? Should I just upgrade the databases without installing these application templates, ignoring the test-spcontentdatabase warnings, and the sites created in 2007 via an app template will still upgrade and work correctly in 2010?

Thanks for helping me with this confusion.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

For all I know off is that when you created sites with Application Templates there upgraded succesfully. There are some others issues when running the FAB40 in to your new farm.

Your databases will grow extensively with these app templates. For some FAB40 templates there are upgraded templates for SharePoint 2010. You should look at that, so that you can use these in the future. For all I know of is that your still running WSS 3.0 features inside your SharePoint 2010 with the old templates.

Regards

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I know that they are creating new Fab 40 for SP 2010, i have also (well i am currently) on a project where Templates for MOSS Fab 40 were used, i am using a 3rd party tool to migrate and what i am experincing is this.. and before we go there I also installed the solutions on SP 2010 and then migrated..

• I was able to migrate sites using the template ok
    • Some content types did not come accross
    • Some list templates did not come accross
    • some web parts did not come accross
    • Display was sometimes messed up

These are things i told the client could happen, but we decided to do it anyway and deal with it.

Connect with Me!

Fabian G. Williams | Twitter @FabianWilliams | Blog http://www.sharepointfabian.com | Email: fabian@adotob.com

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Thanks. Is there anything we can do to prevent site admins from creating new sites based on these templates? Because basically I just want the solutions installed to ensure the sites upgrade correctly to 2010, but I really don't want any new sites getting created with these templates.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Probably should have searched first. I did find an article on switching the HIDE attribute to TRUE for the template XMLs, so I guess that is the route I am going to take. Of course, now I wonder how I can disable all the Site Features that appear once these solutions are deployed? For example, no matter what template your site is based on, once these solutions are installed site collections have a ton of new features available for activation, like Event Planning List Instances, Event Planning Modules, etc. Anyone know of a way to hide those?
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately there are no ways to remove those features as they are still being used by other site collections. Below link has a few tips regarding upgrading FAB 40 http://blogs.technet.com/b/tothesharepoint/archive/2010/08/18/sharepoint-2010-products-upgrade-and-the-fabulous-40-application-templates.aspx.

Thanks 

Manas 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread."
    Monday, January 3, 2011 10:58 PM