none
Need to run Eseutil when moving volumes? RRS feed

• Question

• Do I need to run the Eseutil integrity check when I'm moving the volumes for exchange to a different DPM 2012 R2 server?

It looks like Eseutil is verifying the Integrity of the Exchange database.  This was originally run on the Exchange database months ago and the backups had been running well.  Now that I will stop the backups on the initial DPM server and start them back up on a different DPM server do I need to run Eseutil again?

Thanks in advance.

-Jenna

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:51 PM

All replies

• Do I need to run the Eseutil integrity check when I'm moving the volumes for exchange to a different DPM 2012 R2 server?

It looks like Eseutil is verifying the Integrity of the Exchange database.  This was originally run on the Exchange database months ago and the backups had been running well.  Now that I will stop the backups on the initial DPM server and start them back up on a different DPM server do I need to run Eseutil again?

Thanks in advance.

-Jenna

Hi Jenna,

When you move the protection you will still want to run eseutil. Here is explanation of what it does:

It is recommended that you use a utility called Eseutil on DPM when protecting
    Exchange. Using this utility is recommended because DPM will use the utility to
    perform consistency checks on the data that is written to disk or tape to make sure
    it is not corrupt. Using the utility will minimize the load that is put on the Exchange
    server from the backup; the utility does this by offloading the resources used by
    Eseutil on the DPM server instead of on the Exchange server.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lLL2KOxwxz0C&pg=PT265&lpg=PT265&dq=Eseutil+Data+Protection+Manager&source=bl&ots=PeFw60l19n&sig=j94Ns_rLMybKR1taF7j3J_YUrfM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=T0c6U_uNNtStsQTI54BY&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Eseutil%20Data%20Protection%20Manager&f=false

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:04 AM