Using Windows 2008 R2 SP1 KMS Server for activating Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

We have our KMS Server configured on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 with KB2885698 installed.

We are trying to insert our Windows 8 KMS Key with the following command, and we are getting the error below.

Can you help us?

C:\>cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC
    004F015' to display the error text.
    Error: 0xC004F015

Fabio Martins MCDST/MCSA Brasil!!!

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you cannot install a Windows Client KMShost product key upon Windows Server OS.
    A Windows Client KMShost pkey can only be installed upon a Windows Client OS.

If your KMShost is Windows Server OS, you must use Windows Server KMShost pkey.
    This is because the Windows KMShost pkey replaces the pkey used for the KMShost OS itself, in addition to providing the KMShost services.
    A Windows Server KMShost pkey is able to issue activations for Windows Server OS and also Windows Client OS.

In the case where the KMShost OS is an older (down-version) than the pkey you wish to use (e.g. KMS OS is WS2008R2 and you wish to activate Win8), you must install the necessary OS ServicePack and hotfix/update, then install the desired pkey.
    As Roger says, for you, this hotfix/update is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817

Please refer to section 1.2: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134256.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:55 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, October 21, 2013 2:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Thanks, you clarified!

But I did it, inserted the command above with widows 2012 r2 datacenter kms key and my windows server 2008 r2 lost its activation... And Windows 8.1 are not activating through KMS.

What I did wrong?

for the situation where your KMShost OS is WS2008R2, and you want to issue activations for Win8.1 you must install this KB upon your KMShost http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885698
    then you "install" the WS2012R2 KMShost pkey
    then activate this new pkey on the KMShost

on the KMShost, check the current status of the KMS feature:
    cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What’s the Windows 8 edition? Windows 8 KMS activation just applies to professional and enterprise edition. Please also verifying the KMS key effectivity.

KB2885698 just an update to add Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2 clients to Windows server 2008 R2 KMS hosts, you may need to install kb 2757817 to add Windows 8. Please refer to the link below for more details.

Update adds support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS hosts: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817

If there is no use, please try to Use WS 2012 KMS host key and activated the server though phone. Then you should can activate Windows 8 clients.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Fabio Martins . Net Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

you cannot install a Windows Client KMShost product key upon Windows Server OS.
    A Windows Client KMShost pkey can only be installed upon a Windows Client OS.

If your KMShost is Windows Server OS, you must use Windows Server KMShost pkey.
    This is because the Windows KMShost pkey replaces the pkey used for the KMShost OS itself, in addition to providing the KMShost services.
    A Windows Server KMShost pkey is able to issue activations for Windows Server OS and also Windows Client OS.

In the case where the KMShost OS is an older (down-version) than the pkey you wish to use (e.g. KMS OS is WS2008R2 and you wish to activate Win8), you must install the necessary OS ServicePack and hotfix/update, then install the desired pkey.
    As Roger says, for you, this hotfix/update is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817

Please refer to section 1.2: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134256.aspx

Don

• Edited by DonPick Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:55 AM edit
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Both KBs are installed. I have retried again, and the error persists: Error: 0xC004F015 The OS we are trying to activate using KMS is Windows 8.1. The server is Windows 2008 R2 SP1. Thanks.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Our case is:

KMS Server is an Windows Server 2008 R2. It alredy serves activations for Windows 7 Enterprise. We need to activate clients WIndows 8.1. How to do it? It persists on error:

C:\>cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC
    004F015' to display the error text.
    Error: 0xC004F015

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hello,

Windows Server installations will only accept a Windows Server KMS host key.

The Windows KMS host key must also activate the Windows Server machine and a Windows client key cannot activate a Windows Server installation.

So if you want to activate Windows 8.1 KMS clients, you will have to install a Windows Server 2012 R2 KMS host key.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Thanks, you clarified!

But I did it, inserted the command above with widows 2012 r2 datacenter kms key and my windows server 2008 r2 lost its activation... And Windows 8.1 are not activating through KMS.

What I did wrong?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Thanks, you clarified!

What I did wrong?

for the situation where your KMShost OS is WS2008R2, and you want to issue activations for Win8.1 you must install this KB upon your KMShost http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885698
    then you "install" the WS2012R2 KMShost pkey
    then activate this new pkey on the KMShost

on the KMShost, check the current status of the KMS feature:
    cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

Don

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hello,

I would add a step to reboot or stop and start the Software Licensing Service.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Hello,

I would add a step to reboot or stop and start the Software Licensing Service.

Oh, yes.
    The KB actually prompts for a machine restart, and it's been observed by a few people that a restart of the service isn't enough, that a machine restart is what is needed.
    When I applied the KB to my primary KMShost, I performed the server restart as prompted, and all was well.

Don

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:50 PM