none
Migration from DPM '07 to '10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a small inquiry as to my best approach here.

A port in my SCSI disk array went bad. I was sent a replacement chassis as an RMA. Currently backups are running on the remaining 7 hard drive bays.

Long story short - I'm going to have to recreate all the arrays and as such they are going to presented as new disks to DPM. I went through this just dealing with the one dead bay. The previous admin did not set it up as RAID and I had to redo the protection groups on that drive. Big mess.

Now I figure since I have to replace the disk array chassis and go through this anyway, now is the best time to shift over to DPM 2010. On a side note - to my understanding, 2010 would have made my life easier when one of my bays died as it has built-in features to move PGs from one disk to another instead of the back-end script available in 2007.

I think the easiest way for me to do this would be to just start from scratch with the PGs on a clean slate. IE: Install DPM 2010 and re-add all the resources I want backed up with the new disk array - however, I don't want to lose the DPMDB to be able to restore from the tapes I have. I just don't want to deal with moving all that disk data to a new array in 2007 just to upgrade to 2010.

Do I upgrade to 2010 on top of 2007 on the old disk array with the bad slot then stop all protection, keep only tapes, redo the array (ie: wipe DPM disks) and redo the PGs?

Or can I backup DPMDB, uninstall 2007, shut down the server, build my array, install 2010 and somehow import the old DPMDB to maintain the ability to restore 2007 tape stuff?

Any advice is appreciated..

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:48 PM

Answers

• Check out this link : 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/upgrade-advisor-for-dpm-2010-now-available.aspx

upgrade adviser.

thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 2, 2010 9:36 AM

All replies

• Nevermind, dumb question: Just realized/remembered DPM2010 is 64bit only. Don't have a physical x64 server. Although I still have the problem of rebuilding the array with no intermediate storage location to hold the disk data while I rebuild the array.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Check out this link : 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/upgrade-advisor-for-dpm-2010-now-available.aspx

upgrade adviser.

thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 2, 2010 9:36 AM