Cannot create a file when that file already exists error message. RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently 'upgraded' from windows server 2012 r2 to windows server 2016, all went well and everything but windows server backup is working.

I am trying to setup a daily backup of some folders of the server, however when setting up the backup I receive an error saying "cannot create a file when that file already exists" when the wizard is creating backup schedule.

after doing a quick search I found a poste on this forum which says I should edit the registry and remove a WindowsBackup folder in the registry, however this is not present on my server.

the logs don't appear to have any mention of windows backup in them.

Has anyone come across this before or know how to resolve it?

Chris Mottershead

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean this registry?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/windows-backup-cannot-create-a-file-when-that-file/d91d7785-9a00-4b26-9ae3-ae35b0d9317b

For you scenario, according to the error message,  it is possible that  the server 2012R2 backup schedule cache is conflict with your server 2016 new backup schedule.

Could you please reboot the server to do a check?

And if you do one-time backup (not schedule), does it work?

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:03 AM
  • I tried rebooting the server several times and it made no difference, the link you posted is the link I used but the key it refers to doesn't exist in the registry on the server, but I did find one that just said backup which helped but didn't solve the problem, and a one time backup completed successfully.

however I did try the backup setup from the dashboard and it appears to have setup and the last 2 backups have been successful.

Chris Mottershead

Chris Mottershead

Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:25 PM
  • Hi Chris,

>a one time backup completed successfully.

>however I did try the backup setup from the dashboard and it appears to have setup and the last 2 backups have been successful.

According to your description, based on my personal understanding, it is still related to the take schedule.

Could you please also query the all the task to make sure backup not in the list.

schtasks /query /fo LIST /v

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772785(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 9, 2017 4:41 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, there is only one mention of backup in the list but that is the same time as the one created using the dashboard and would not have been there before when I received the message

Chris Mottershead

Friday, June 9, 2017 4:45 PM
  • I have also just realised that the backup I set through the dashboard is shown in the windows server backup MMC snap in and can be edited so it would appear its now started to work

Chris Mottershead

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Monday, June 12, 2017 1:39 AM
    Friday, June 9, 2017 5:57 PM