MS Wallet replacement? Seriously, what's the plan for mobile payment support via NFC? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if Microsoft has even hinted at a strategy for supporting mobile payment systems yet? I know Google Pay bought Softcard/ISIS and that killed the MS Wallet app used in Windows Phone 8.1 - but is there a solution/strategy/action plan from Microsoft on how they're going to support mobile payments via NFC in the future (or anywhere on the horizon)?  I'm looking for an official support statement but I'll take any rumors if you've got 'em!

I've been running Windows 10 Mobile Preview on my HTC M8 since the start of the preview and love the current build. I've also had Windows Phones dating back to Windows Mobile 6.  I've held off switching to an Android phone thus far despite the lack of Windows Phone apps because I really do prefer the interface.  But if I can't use my phone to make mobile payments via NFC at point of sale locations in the future than I really think I'm going to have to  bite the bullet and switch to Android when my current contract expires. Windows 10 Mobile's future is bleak enough already, please tell me there's hope for mobile payments in the future!

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 5:24 AM

All replies

• Well not only do Microsoft seem to have no plans for a mobile payment platform, even after announcing it in 2012, they seem to have no plans to upgrade the HTC M8 to Windows 10 Mobile. Also from what I see at the Build conference there seems no plans to do much with Window 10 Mobile devices since all the demos are using Android and IOS....

Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:05 PM
  • The Windows 10 upgrade might not be officially supported on HTC M8 (yet), but I've had Windows 10 running on my HTC M8 using the Insider Preview program for several months now (Preview for Developers app in the phone store).  The latest mobile build I have is 10586 and seems to be pretty stable.  There are still a few kinks they're working out but it otherwise works a lot better than Windows 8.1 did on the phone.  To install it, just add the Preview for Developers app https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/preview-for-developers/9wzdncrfj3hw

Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:18 PM