KB3180030 Language Pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,
    I have a WSUS Server running and after a few weeks it running smooth. Windows Server 2012 R2 WSUS 4.0
    Now I try to update Windows 10 Enterprise clients. These clients are installed with English GB OS and all have German and Italien language and display language installed. Now the WSUS server shows me that KB3180030 is needed from the clients. The Update ist downloaded to the WSUS and approved for installation. But no client is installing it.
    In the Windows Update Log I couldn't find the KB.
    Did anybody have an idea where I could look oder what I can do?
    Thanks!
    Best regards,
    Michael
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael Pilling,

>Now the WSUS server shows me that KB3180030 is needed from the clients. The Update ist downloaded to the WSUS and approved for installation. But no client is installing it.

Generally, Language packs will be marked as needed by clients, while clients will not download the Language pack when doing Windows update, we need to manually install in Settings>Time & Language>Region & Language > Add a language:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael Pilling,

>Now the WSUS server shows me that KB3180030 is needed from the clients. The Update ist downloaded to the WSUS and approved for installation. But no client is installing it.

Generally, Language packs will be marked as needed by clients, while clients will not download the Language pack when doing Windows update, we need to manually install in Settings>Time & Language>Region & Language > Add a language:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 3:34 AM
  • Hi Anne He,

thanks for the answer, but did you have an idea, how I should manage this with 200 Computers and no management solution?

I hope that the WSUS install the update. Is there no workaround?

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, October 31, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Hi Michael Pilling,

When WSUS server works alone, it can not push updates to WSUS clients, it is the client behavior to download and install updates;

While as far as I know, SCCM/WSUS can push updates to clients. At that time, WSUS works as SUP for SCCM, we can manage updates in SCCM console. And push updates for clients forcibly.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Hi Michael Pilling,

Could the above replies be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:25 AM
  • Dear Anne,

it's a nice answer but I haven't an SCCM as I wrote! But I'm not sure if you understanding me right.

I Install the language pack at the first install. after that the WSUS reported the update.

The update isn't installed automatically and manually I couldn't see an Update.

Did you have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, November 7, 2016 10:17 AM
  • I am having the same problem with that KB. I have the English language pack installed, and this update shows as needed but the client will not download and install it. Would like to see if there are any real suggestions, not from some moderator who doesn't understand the question and then subsequently marks their poor response as the answer.

• Edited by Ed888 Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:20 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:15 PM
  • Hello Ed888,

I'm glad that I'm not mad and other person have the same problem.

In the meantime i tried to force the installation with giving the update a Deadline to installing. But this doesn't work either.

If I found something, I will share an update here.

Best regards,

Michael

Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Did you find a solution?
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:24 PM
  • This behaviour is well known for WSUS and Language Packs.

It was the same for Windows 7 Enterprise and there is not much that you can do about it.

WSUS only makes Language Packs available and allows them to be installed from an internal server instead of the client machine going on the Internet to download and install them.

Monday, March 6, 2017 7:34 PM
  • Language Packs are really pretty simple. WSUS is a repository (just like WU) from which Language Packs can be obtained.

The only difference is, just like ever other update, the *WSUS Administrator* gets to decide which Language Packs are actually available for installation to client systems. This is done by approving the updates for the eligible clients. Then (and this is the part that confuses everybody, just like the WSUS/Server Manager update) .... the update is NOT installed automagically by the Windows Update Agent -- it is only installed WHEN a user on that system chooses to do so.

In the case of the WSUS/Server Manager update, that happens when the Server Admin chooses to install the WSUS role. In the case of a Language Pack, presumably that happens when the end user NEEDS a Language Pack.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, March 6, 2017 8:49 PM
  • Hello DonPick,

Thank you for the answer! But if I installed the language pack manually the WSUS don't recognized the installation and the machine is up to 99%. Did you know if this is a normal (bug)?

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:46 AM
  • ...But if I installed the language pack manually the WSUS don't recognized the installation and the machine is up to 99%. Did you know if this is a normal (bug)?

We don't use any language packs in our organisation, so I don't have personal experience with it (so I don't know for certain)

After you manually installed the LP, did you perform another scan/detection/report from the client, and then check the WSUS again?

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:00 AM