How to stop Windows from mounting a usb fat32 flash drive RRS feed

• Question

•   Here's the problem. I have 4 identical Sandisk Cruiser 32GB flash drives. Windows has never mounted these drives in the past, until several months ago. Now Windows is mounting 2 of these drives but not the other 2. When the drives get mounted I end up with about 5GB of files being added to each drive because they now show System Volume Information and the Recycle Bin. The amount of data added varies depending on the system I plug up to. On one Win 7 machine it can add up to 10+ GB. I would like to  be able to use the entire space for my backups but am unable to. These two drives are only used for Music and Videos. Is there a way to stop these two drives from being mounted in windows systems?

Thanks,  Bill

Saturday, November 29, 2014 4:17 AM

All replies

• No one has a solution to this?

Bill

Friday, December 5, 2014 11:24 PM
  • You cannot use the USB flash drive without mounting it.  If it isn't mounted Windows has no access to it.  If you don't want them mounted don't plug them in while Windows is running.

And your figures are grossly exaggerated.  Windows uses only 8.00KB on my 16GB USB flash drive.  The 8KB is used for the file allocation table.  Without a file allocation table none of the files would be accessible because the system would not know where the file is located. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, December 6, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Windows assigns a drive letter when mounted. You can prob just remove the drive letter and it won't show up in windows for you to add files. You'll have to add and remove each time better to leave em un plugged.
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Sorry but my figures are not exaggerated. Right now on this machine "System Volume Information" is showing as 3.2 GB and "Recycle Bin" is showing as 2.9 GB.  I don't own these computers I use so I can't make changes to them such as emptying the recycle bin. I only use portable applications from my flash drives on friends systems. By windows loading these two folders to my flash drives it it effectively stopping me from being able to use all the space.

Now as I mentioned in the first post, windows is only loading the SysVolInfo and recycle bin folders to 2 of the 4 drives. I am able to use ChkDsk on the two drives that are unaffected by windows but not on the other two. I get the message that windows can't check the volume while it is in use and would I like to check it at startup. This always fails because, I think, These computers do not recognize the usb drives until windows is loaded. I have a work around for this in a utility that will unmount the two drives and run ChkDsk and then remount them.

This doesn't answer the question though as to why all of a sudden this is happening to 2 of the 4 drives? And on several different machines? Windows does assign a drive letter to all 4 drives as it always has however the 2 drives without the system folders are able to be scanned in windows without unmounting them.

I would really appreciate any insight into this behavior I could get.

Thanks, Bill

• Edited by billmcct Sunday, December 7, 2014 4:43 PM
    Sunday, December 7, 2014 4:40 PM
  • System Volume Information is the directory for Windows Recovery information when Protection is turned on for the individual drive. 

Recycle Bin of course is where deleted items are until the Recycle Bin is emptied.

So, it is not a case of Windows arbitrarily filling the two directories with miscellaneous files, but a result of System Protection settings and the deletion of unwanted files which remain in the Recycle Bin until the Trash is emptied.

Absolutely nothing unusual or weird.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, December 7, 2014 5:29 PM
  •  Rick, I am aware that sysvolinfo holds the restore points for the system. I looked into the restore points and this computer is set to use 30 GB space for restore points. It also shows restore points from over two years ago. The recycle bin has over 8000 files in it, some from over two years ago. I am going to have to explain some things to my friend. 2 GB for restore points is more than sufficient and that he needs to empty the recycle bin sometimes.

However I am still confused as to why only 2 of the 4 drives show these folders. Actually I also have 2 16 GB drives that are also not affected by these added folders. I could understand it if windows was monitoring these two drives for restore points but that is not the case.

Thanks, Bill

Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:26 PM
  • Either the system was set to turn System Protection on by default, or, someone went into the System Properties and turned on System Protection for those USB flash drives.

The Recycle Bin was created the first time s file was deleted on those USB flash drives.

Neither is a mysterious process.

Monday, December 8, 2014 11:41 AM
  •  Well, I thank you for the insight Rick. I now need to figure out how to turn this off. I am still confused because this happens on three or four Win XP machines and several Vista/7 machines. It seems like there is something on the drives themselves causing this however I have reformated one of the drives and still have the same problem.

Thanks, Bill

Monday, December 8, 2014 5:34 PM