Apply GPO Pack Offline Media Does Not Apply RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All - 

I've got an issue with MDT 2012 that when I boot to the MDT server and run my task sequence from the server, the GPO Pack applies just fine. However, when I create media the task sequence runs and claims it applies successfully, but nothing shows up in the local policy editor. If I run the command locally out of the task sequence, then the pack applies just fine. 

Anyone had issues with this?

TIA - 

Chris

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hey All - 

I've got an issue with MDT 2012 that when I boot to the MDT server and run my task sequence from the server, the GPO Pack applies just fine. However, when I create media the task sequence runs and claims it applies successfully, but nothing shows up in the local policy editor. If I run the command locally out of the task sequence, then the pack applies just fine. 

TIA - 

Chris

We adding the following to the ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf script.

'// Remove read only Attrib. from LocalSecurityDB.sdb

LSDB = "Attrib -R " & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath & "\LocalSecurityDB.sdb /S"

oShell.Run LSDB,0

• Marked as answer by RC Chris Friday, August 16, 2013 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hey All - 

TIA - 

Chris

We adding the following to the ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf script.

LSDB = "Attrib -R " & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath & "\LocalSecurityDB.sdb /S"

oShell.Run LSDB,0

• Marked as answer by RC Chris Friday, August 16, 2013 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Works like a charm now.. 

Thanks

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi, i am trying to update the ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf script according to your advice but i can't get it to work, can you assist, maybe with the whole script including your addition? Or tell me where to add it?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:06 PM
  • I’m having a problem as described in the above link with offline media.   Do you know where the edit should be placed in the WSF file?

• We adding the following to the ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf script.

oShell.Run LSDB,0

This is the wsf file… but I ‘m not sure exactly where to place it:

<job id="ZTIApplyGPOPack">

<script language="VBScript" src="ZTIUtility.vbs"/>

<script language="VBScript">

' // ***************************************************************************

' //

' // Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

' //

' // Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Solution Accelerator

' //

' // File:      ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf

' //

' // Version:   6.2.5019.0

' //

' // Purpose:   Install GPO Pack created using Security Configuration Manager (SCM)

' //

' // Usage:     cscript.exe [//nologo] ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf [/debug:true]

' //

' // ***************************************************************************

Option Explicit

RunNewInstance

'//----------------------------------------------------------------------------

'//  Global Constants

' No constants are required

'//  Main Class

Class ZTIApplyGPOPack

'//------------------------------------------------------------------------

'//  Class variable declarations

Public iRetVal

'//  Constructor to initialize needed global objects

Private Sub Class_Initialize

End Sub

'//  Main routine

Function Main

Dim sGPOPackPath

Dim sGPOPackFullPath

Dim sOSVersion

Dim sOS

Dim bStandard

iRetVal = 0

'// If ApplyGPOPack = NO then do not apply GPO

if  UCASE(oEnvironment.Item("ApplyGPOPack")) = "NO" then

oLogging.CreateEntry "ApplyGPOPack set to NO, exiting function.", LogTypeInfo

iRetVal = 0

exit function

End if

'// Determine GPO Pack Path

If len(oEnvironment.Item("GPOPackPath")) > 0 then

'// Path has been set via environment variable

'// This is a relevant path from the Deployment Share .\Templates\GPOPacks folder

sGPOPackPath = oEnvironment.Item("GPOPackPath")

oLogging.CreateEntry "USing GPO Pack Path Specified in variable GPOPackPath: " & oEnvironment.Item("GPOPackPath"), LogTypeInfo

bStandard = False

Else

'// Generate path automatically based on OS type using default MDT GPO Packs

sOSVersion = oEnvironment.Item("OSCurrentVersion")

If (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.3") and oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS") then

sOS = "WS2012R2"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows Server 2012 R2 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.2") and (oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS")) then

sOS = "WS2012RTM"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows Server 2012 RTM GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.2") and Not(oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS")) then

sOS = "Win8RTM"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows 8 RTM GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.1") and oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS") then

sOS = "WS2008R2SP1"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows 2008 R2 SP1 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.1") and Not(oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS")) then

sOS = "Win7SP1"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows 7 SP1 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.0") and oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS") then

sOS = "WS2008SP2"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows 2008 SP2 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.0") and Not(oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS")) then

sOS = "WinVistaSP2"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows Vista SP2 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

Else

'// Version matching default GPO Pack not found

oLogging.CreateEntry "Default MDT GPO Pack not supplied for this operating system.", LogTypeInfo

Main = Success

Exit Function

End If

sGPOPackPath = sOS & "-MDTGPOPack"

oLogging.CreateEntry "Using GPO Pack Path " & sGPOPackPath, LogTypeInfo

bStandard = true

End if

'// Apply GPO Pack

'// Check if path is valid

sGPOPackFullPath = oEnvironment.Item("DeployRoot")  & "\Templates\GPOPacks\" & sGPOPackPath

If Not(oFSO.FolderExists(sGPOPackFullPath)) then

If bStandard then

oLogging.CreateEntry "Default MDT GPO Pack not present for this operating system.", LogTypeInfo

Main = Success

Else

oLogging.CreateEntry "The GPO Pack Path - " & sGPOPackFullPath & " is not valid. The GPO was not applied.", LogTypeError

Main = 10701

End if

Exit Function

End if

'// Copy files to MININT folder

oLogging.CreateEntry "Copying GPO Pack files to: " & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath, LogTypeInfo

oFSO.CopyFolder sGPOPackFullPath, oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath, True

'// Run GPO Pack script

iRetVal = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat("cmd /c cscript.exe """ & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath & "\GPOPack.wsf"" /Path:""" & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath & """ /silent")

Main = iRetVal

End Function

End Class

</script>

</job>

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:23 PM
  • I was not able to solve the issue by editing the ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf file... so I gave up and sovled the problem this way:

• I created an SCCM package out of the GPOPack
    • I then created a bat file called ApplyLocalSec.bat: 

md c:\maintenance\LocalSecurity

xcopy *.* c:\maintenance\LocalSecurity /E /y

Attrib -R c:\maintenance\LocalSecurity\EY-2012R2-MemberSrv-GPOPack\LocalSecurityDB.sdb /S

cscript c:\maintenance\localsecurity\EY-2012R2-MemberSrv-GPOPack\GPOPack.wsf /path:c:\maintenance\localsecurity\EY-2012R2-MemberSrv-GPOPack\ /silent

• I then created a section in the Task Sequence to apply the local policy differently based on Online build or Offline Build:

• Condition for OFFLINE BUILD: IF tasksequence variable _SMSTSMediaType equals FullMedia
    • Condition for Over the Network Build:  IF tasksequence variable _SMSTSMediaType NOT equals FullMedia

Friday, June 6, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Hi, i am trying to update the ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf script according to your advice but i can't get it to work, can you assist, maybe with the whole script including your addition? Or tell me where to add it?

You need to add the code snippet in between "'// Copy files to MININT folder" and "'// Run GPO Pack script" and I also had to declare "LSDB" as a variable at the top of the script - Just add "Dim LSDB" after the last variable.

The relevant bits of code should look like the sample below:

Function Main

Dim sGPOPackPath
    Dim sGPOPackFullPath
    Dim sOSVersion
    Dim sOS
    Dim bStandard
    Dim LSDB

'// Copy files to MININT folder
    oLogging.CreateEntry "Copying GPO Pack files to: " & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath, LogTypeInfo
    oFSO.CopyFolder sGPOPackFullPath, oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath, True

oShell.Run LSDB,0

'// Run GPO Pack script
    iRetVal = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat("cmd /c cscript.exe """ & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath & "\GPOPack.wsf"" /Path:""" & oUtility.LocalRootPath & "\" & sGPOPackPath & """ /silent")

Jonathan Conway | My blog: Conway's IT Blog | Twitter: jonconwayuk | Linkedin: Jonathan Conway

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008/Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 • MCP • MCSE 2003 • MCTS SCCM 2007 | 2012, Windows 7 Config & Deploying • VCP

Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:05 PM