none
DPM SQL backup errors not reported RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2008 R2 server that has SQL 2008 R2 on it. We had a drive failure and did not know it and the database got corrupted. This server was not yet in production so we did not find out about the corrupt database until 5 days later. DPM never reported a problem with the backups so when we looked at the backups we had 5 days of backups that were no good. Management is beating me up wanting to know that if this was in production and the database got corrupted how can we count on the dpm backups if they are corrupt. Isnt there any way that dpm validates the backups?

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the way it works is that dpm doesnt really do the backup it just tells sql to perform a backup and give the backup to dpm. So if this is the case do we have to setup any kind of failure warning in sql? We found errors in the sql backups but no errors in dpm.

thanks for anything you guys can clarify on this.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hello dstjames,

yes, the dpm agent just uses the sql vss for backups. So DPM doesn't do it directly it uses the tools which are already available in OS/SQL. So yes, you will have to configure warning in SQL or use a Monitoring tool like System Center Operations Manager.

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:35 AM
  • sroe, in SQL how are warnings configured?
    Tom Morris
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:28 PM
  • I dont configure SQL the DBA does that. Can anyone tell me what alerts I should monitor for so I can be notified if there is a sql backup error?

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:04 PM
  • You should not monitor SQL Backup errors, DPM will let you know from DPM Console if a backup has failed.

You need a way to check the integrity of your Database. You I'd recommed you post a question on SQL Forum with this given scenario.

I'd recommend you to post here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/threads

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:22 AM