none
Out-of-Box Drivers Update Managment Procedure RRS feed

• General discussion

• In regards to the Total Control method of managing Out-of-Box Drivers that I use with great success, found here:

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

I would like to discuss managing updates for Out-of-Box Drivers. 

The problem I am trying to solve is knowing when to update the drivers.  I need to know the last time myself or someone from the IT department actually updated the respective driver folder.  To solve this problem I have been using subfolders under the %Model% folder to indicate the 'Driver CAB pack' version imported by naming the subfolder the same name as the Driver CAB pack. 

By using this method, just looking at the subfolders will show  the 'latest' drivers imported allowing for easy comparison to the 'latest' drivers available. 

Comparing to the Dell Drivers website, it clearly shows I am the latest drivers loaded.

Below is my driver update SOP:

1. Copy Driver CAB file to \\MDTServer001\Source
    2. Unzip the Driver CAB file to a folder then delete the CAB file
    3. Delete the x86 folder inside the new Driver CAB folder
        • x64 Deployments only
    4. Import the Driver CAB drivers in the MDT Deployment Workbench
      1. Expand the respective Deployment Share (e.g., Client)
      2. Expand Out-of-Box Drivers and browse to the correct folder respective to the Operating System and Model (e.g., W7x64\OptiPlex 990)
      3. Delete any subfolders found (e.g., \990-win7-A07-38JJC)
        • DO NOT check the box 'Completely delete' because some drivers could be referenced elsewhere
      4. Create a New Folder under the Model folder naming it the same name as Driver CAB folder (e.g., W7x64\OptiPlex 990\990-win7-A08-G7J2N)
      5. Right click on the new folder and choose Import Drivers
      6. Browse to D:\Source, find and select the appropriate Driver CAB folder, press Next, Next, and Finish
        • DO NOT check the box 'Import drivers even if they are duplicates' because duplicate drivers are copied to save space
    5. Right click on the Deployment Share and choose Update Deployment Share, select the options Optimize and Compress, click Next, Next, and Finish.

I am interested is what procedures are being used by other MDT administrators for updating these driver folders? Of course this really only applies to those using the 'Total Control' method of driver management.

My enviroment:
    MDT 2013
    Windows 7 Enterprise w/ SP1 (x64 Only)
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise (x64 Only)
    Dell only, about 5 different models, downloading and importing thier respective 'Driver CAB Packs'

• Changed type Str1ct Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:46 PM

All replies

• I use kind of the same thing. Like you total control but we have HP and often there is no driver pack and if there is, the drivers are old.

Therefore I download each driver manually and create a folders like
    'OS-Arch\ComputerModel\DriverModel\' in Out of box drivers.

I only update drivers if I found a problem with it not working.

If I need to update a driver I remove drivers in folder
    'OS-Arch\ComputerModel\DriverModel\'. When a computer model is obsolete for us I remove the folder 'OS-Arch\ComputerModel'.

One important thing is I DO tick the box 'Import drivers even if they are duplicates'

Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:07 AM
  • I agree with Michael on this one. Ticking "Import drivers even if they are duplicates", makes sure, that MDT will not create 'linked clones' of specific drivers that are stored in a different folder. Because when you (accidentally) delete those drivers, this will mean, that they will also be deleted in every folder they appear.

The downside of it all is, your driver store will grow exponentially, meaning, your media will do to (if you were to create an ISO)

Driver management is a precise task, which to my opinion, you can do best yourself.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:28 PM
  • I, too, agree with both Michael and Rens. Driver management is best handled by the end user. I use Selection Profiles to determine what goes into the Deployment Share media. In my case, I work with OEM vendor customers who send me drivers they only want to use for OEM solutioning. When you involve DriverGroups it can be hectic when it comes to troubleshooting driver failures because you have to deal with ALL drivers inside a group. 

Similar to your method, I use Dell's version release number to create a new folder when a new driver set is released:
    [-] WindowsOS\Vendor\Platform\OSArchitecture\ReleaseNumber 

_JoeG
    Dell - Systems Integration Consultant
    Twitter: @8bits1byte 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:18 PM