Recently installed 120GB Intel SSD as boot drive, not sure Win 7 sees it as SSD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently installed an Intel 120 GB SSD as my boot drive, Win 7 Ult. I used intel's disk cloning utility written by Acronis for the migration and I would assume the settings for the HDD's came across during the clone.

I see in system tools that my SSD (C drive) is still coming up in the defrag app. Does this mean that windows doesn't see it as an SSD. Hi do I go about making Windows use my SSD as an SSD and not a spinning drive.

I have limited experience working with and editing the registry. I assemble this computer myself, but haven't ever had to work inside the registry so details directions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:33 PM

Answers

• The only way to resolve this is to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the SSD.  Cloning from a hard drive to an SSD is simply that - a clone.  It does not make Windows 7 configure itself for the SSD.  I doubt you will find a list of registry hacks here to resolve this.  This is a hardware inflicted problem and not something caused by Microsoft.

The OCZ forum has a thread about tweaks in Vista @ http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?47212-Vista-32-64-SSD-Windows-Registry-tweaks  These may or may not help.  I suggest you do some serious of the internet for additional information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, December 16, 2011 8:40 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:51 PM

All replies

• The only way to resolve this is to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the SSD.  Cloning from a hard drive to an SSD is simply that - a clone.  It does not make Windows 7 configure itself for the SSD.  I doubt you will find a list of registry hacks here to resolve this.  This is a hardware inflicted problem and not something caused by Microsoft.

The OCZ forum has a thread about tweaks in Vista @ http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?47212-Vista-32-64-SSD-Windows-Registry-tweaks  These may or may not help.  I suggest you do some serious of the internet for additional information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, December 16, 2011 8:40 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any feedback, please let us know.

Niki

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Niki Han Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I assume the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:40 AM