none
Can DHCP dynamically update ALL DNS servers from other domains as well? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have DHCP configured as the following and have 5 DNS servers in the Ipconfig of the DHCP server (first 3 from the same domain, next 2 from another domain), will DHCP attempt to dynamically update all 5 DNS server?

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>what's the DHCP server's "search" base on? Is it basically looking into its own DNS server search order list? or it has another way of searching?

The way that clients (receiving their IPs via DHCP) or DHCP servers (handing out IP addresses) know which server to send DDNS updates to is by querying DNS for the SOA record of the domain to which the dynamic update should be made. By default, dynamic updates are sent to the master server in the mname field of the SOA record for the zone.

For more details, please refer this article:

https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00653

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>>how do I make the DNS server in the other forest accept the changes? Do I have to set something up or it's automatic?

In two way trust forest, you can configure secondary zone to transfer the data.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>first 3 from the same domain, next 2 from another domain

Did you mean that two domains in one forest? One is parent domain and the other is child domain?

When updating the host record, DHCP server searches for a DNS server which is authoritative for the zone matching the domain name of DHCP client.

If the other DNS server in the forest is DC, you could use AD integrated zones. This will *automatically* replicate to all DCs within their replication scope settings.

If the other DNS server in the forest is not DC, you need to manually create a secondary zone for zone transfer.

I think you could understand better by reading the following links:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/51810.windows-server-integration-between-dns-and-dhcp.aspx

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ce20f2af-c77f-47a6-985c-51b0c9f25838/how-to-replicate-dns-record-to-a-second-dns-server?forum=winserverNIS

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:00 AM
  • When updating the host record, DHCP server searches for a DNS server which is authoritative for the zone matching the domain name of DHCP client.

Hi Ellen, 2 domains are on 2 different forests with 2 way trust. About your statement above, what's the DHCP server's "search" base on? Is it basically looking into its own DNS server search order list? or it has another way of searching?

So, I don't have the DNS server on the other forest listed in the DHCP server's DNS list, and I'm wondering if it's just as simple as adding the DNS server from the other forest in the DHCP server's NIC config. 

Plus, once I make my DHCP update the DNS records on the DNS server in anohter forest, how do I make the DNS server in the other forest accept the changes? Do I have to set something up or it's automatic?

• Edited by Raydar12 Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:37 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

>>what's the DHCP server's "search" base on? Is it basically looking into its own DNS server search order list? or it has another way of searching?

The way that clients (receiving their IPs via DHCP) or DHCP servers (handing out IP addresses) know which server to send DDNS updates to is by querying DNS for the SOA record of the domain to which the dynamic update should be made. By default, dynamic updates are sent to the master server in the mname field of the SOA record for the zone.

For more details, please refer this article:

https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00653

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>>how do I make the DNS server in the other forest accept the changes? Do I have to set something up or it's automatic?

In two way trust forest, you can configure secondary zone to transfer the data.

Best regards,

Ellen

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.
    Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Ellen

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:17 AM
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    Best regards,
    Ellen

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Thanks for the awesome information. While we're in the process of other changes to DHCP, I'm sure that these will become handy to fix the DDNS updates issue.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:44 AM