How to get embedded fields into the Navigation Pane? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document where I need to track sections incrementally.  For example, Section 1 and then 2 and so forth.  I do this using the embedded field LISTNUM.  I want the Navigation Pane to show Section 1, Section 2, etc.  Only Section appears in the Navigation Pane and not the Section number.  I use a macro to create as many sections as needed.  How can I get the section number to appear in the Navigation Pane while still using the embedded command? 
    Monday, December 14, 2015 5:49 PM

Answers

• I don't know why LISTNUM field results do not show up in the Navigation pane. What you can do is make use of SEQ fields instead. Note, however, that SEQ fields do not update dynamically. If you edit the document, you may have to force an update by switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then go back to your previous view (ESC).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:35 AM
  • In the ListNum field in the same paragraph style as the rest of the heading?

If you instead do your numbering as set forth in the article linked below, using the built-in heading styles or another style with outline numbering level set, it will appear in the navigation pane.

This would involve a bit of work to set up and change. You would get rid of the ListNum field.

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Ribbon Versions of Word by Shauna Kelly

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:53 PM

All replies

• I don't know why LISTNUM field results do not show up in the Navigation pane. What you can do is make use of SEQ fields instead. Note, however, that SEQ fields do not update dynamically. If you edit the document, you may have to force an update by switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then go back to your previous view (ESC).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:35 AM
  • In the ListNum field in the same paragraph style as the rest of the heading?

If you instead do your numbering as set forth in the article linked below, using the built-in heading styles or another style with outline numbering level set, it will appear in the navigation pane.

This would involve a bit of work to set up and change. You would get rid of the ListNum field.

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Ribbon Versions of Word by Shauna Kelly

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:53 PM