none
Question regarding user-Workstations attribute

Question

• Hello,

The 'user-Workstations' attribute has an upper range of 1024 characters, which means we should be add up to 64 computer names into the field.  (16 characters per computer name * 64 entries = 1024 character limit). 

However, we are finding that whenever we add more than around 10 computer names to the user account's "Log On To" properties, the users are not able to log into any of the computers. It seems to have a limit of around 160 characters, then ignores anything beyond that. For users that need access to more than 10 computers, we're having to set the Log On To property to "All Computers".  Any suggestions as to what may be causing this limitation? 

(I did verify that the schema is in fact set to use the default 1024 rangeUpper for this attribute.)

Thank you for any advice you may be able to provide.

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>ny suggestions as to what may be causing this limitation? 

According to this MSDN article describes, this attribute “user-Workstations” is upper to 1024 on server 2000-2012.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680868(v=vs.85).aspx

I have tested this on my server with 20+ clients and servers, didn't encountered with this issue. (my testing machines's name's length is all less than 15 chars)

So, i want to know, if you got any prompts when trying to logon these machines?

Besides, "You could change the rangeUpper value on the User-Workstations attribute in the schema to a value up to 8192 to allow more entries in the list. Microsoft does not recommend higher values as you might hit object size limits". to see if it helps.

In addition, please try to Add Confluence's hostname to the "userWorkstations" attribute for all Confluence users in Active Directory to see if it helps.

If you have any updates about this, welcome to feedback here. 

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:50 AM
  • > The 'user-Workstations' attribute has an upper range of 1024 characters, which means we should be add up to 64 computer names into the field.  (16 characters per computer name * 64 entries = 1024 character limit).

Nobody should use this setting - it is old, and it is poorly usable. More, it breaks RDP SSO and other things...

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:56 PM