Windows 8 can't shut down! RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried all the test versions of Windows 8 and i really like this version of Windows but i have a very big problem. This problem appeared in Consumer Preview and I can see it in Release Preview too and even in RTM. When I try to shut down or hibernate my laptop, the screen turns off but the laptop continues working! The problem is not in hardware, because in Windows 7 it shut down normally. Also if i switch off hybrid shutdown, it shutdowns normally, but hibernate is still not working. I noticed that when i switched to diagnostic startup in msconfig or simply switched off all the microsoft services, the problem has gone, but of course there were no sound, no internet etc. So it's not a way to solve this problem. Please help me to find this service, which prevents my pc to shutdown... I don't want to return to Windows 7 again, Windows 8 is so awesome... Thanks in advance and sorry if there are some mistakes, i'm from Belarus) 

Friday, August 10, 2012 11:49 AM

Answers

• Finally, I've solved this problem! I found on some forum, that on Windows 8 new dynamic ticking feature can cause such freezes. So I've done this "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" in cmd and now my laptop works fine! So turning it off should revert me back to behavior similar to what’s on Windows 7 until a fix comes out. Maybe it will help to someone else...
    • Proposed as answer by Manu1990 Friday, August 17, 2012 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by alexiusx Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:04 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Could be the problem in a third-party software that you install? Can you try when you make a clean installation of Windows 8 (with no software, nothing else than the Windows updates) if it works or if it fails again? It could also be the motherboard if it´s not ready at all for W8 and it neads a new BIOS revision, in this case you could contact to your BIOS provider, but i would start with the first is said you ;-)

Regards, Manu.

Si esta respuesta le ayudó a solucionar su problema puede marcarla. Esto ayudará a otros usuarios a resolver su mismo problema. Participante en news.lechado.com

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:08 PM
  • I don't think that was caused by motherboard because i wrote, that if i switch off all the microsoft services, everything is ok. It couldn't also be caused by third party apps, because i switched off ONLY Microsoft services, all the third party apps and services continued working and everything was ok. I didn't make any changes in system. Of course I can switch off all of them and then test each one, but it will be too long and annoying :) Maybe there is some type of debug or monitoring that can show on which service it stucks...?
    • Edited by alexiusx Friday, August 10, 2012 1:19 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Have tried to isolate which Microsoft Service is causing the problem? Perhaps switch off each one and try it.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 1:30 PM
  • I think it´s strange the problem is on a Microsoft Service. In this case we would have to check which service is and which is its purpose on the system. And third party apps can cause strange problems on the system. I don´t think the solution is disable a Microsoft system... so I would make a new Windows 8 installation with nothing more than the own operating system and I would check what happens, it´s the only way to know where is the problem.

And, like you know, RTM has only been released for OEM, not for public audience. 15th of this month it will be released for Technet/MSDN users, so I don´t recommend you install what promise be an RTM version because most of them are infected, people don´t give away nothing ;-) Remember that.

Regards, Manu.

Si esta respuesta le ayudó a solucionar su problema puede marcarla. Esto ayudará a otros usuarios a resolver su mismo problema. Participante en news.lechado.com

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Have tried to isolate which Microsoft Service is causing the problem? Perhaps switch off each one and try it.

I would make first a clean installation because I don´t think the solution is disable a Microsoft service, and if it is maybe it will be because there is some third party software that is interfereing with the service, so the problem would be on the software, not on the operating system ;-)

Regards.

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:17 PM
  • OK, i've tested a clear system - no luck. But then i tried to switch off services one by one. Problem was caused by Base Filtering Engine service. There are no antivirus installed, only enabled Windows Defender (ex MSE) and Windows Firewall, so why does it stuck system? Any ideas guys?) Without this service Windows Firewall and IPsec willn't work...

Manu1990, I've told earlier, that this problem was on all the versions of Windows 8 starting from Consumer Preview, not only RTM!

• Edited by alexiusx Friday, August 10, 2012 3:45 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 3:31 PM
  • OK, i've tested a clear system - no luck. But then i tried to switch off services one by one. Problem was caused by Base Filtering Engine service. There are no antivirus installed, only enabled Windows Defender (ex MSE) and Windows Firewall, so why does it stuck system? Any ideas guys?) Without this service Windows Firewall and IPsec willn't work...

Manu1990, I've told earlier, that this problem was on all the versions of Windows 8 starting from Consumer Preview, not only RTM!

Yeah, what I said you about RTM has nothing to do with the problem itself... You said that you were trying the RTM version and I know that it is on the internet, but only OEM should have it at this moment and that it´s dangerous using a version from the internet because most of them are infected.

I know the problem you are having it´s important, maybe like it is related to energy options the problem is on the BIOS because maybe you need a new version from your motherboard provider to fix the problem ;-) Why not suspend the computer meanwhile?

Regards! Manu.

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Oh no, the latest version of BIOS is installed on my laptop. Does it mean that my laptop is rubbish nowadays? :(

By the way, disabling Base Filtering Engine helped only for short time, after some reboots - again the same problem...

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Oh no, the latest version of BIOS is installed on my laptop. Does it mean that my laptop is rubbish nowadays? :(

By the way, disabling Base Filtering Engine helped only for short time, after some reboots - again the same problem...

Don´t worry, it will happen with many computers that has some time ;-) I hope motherboard manufacturers release new BIOS versions... And I would´t advice you to disable the service, because its paper in the system security is important (it wais said for Vista):

The Base Filtering Engine Service (BFE), part of Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), plays an important roll in Vista's network security.

And you have another option, wait for Microsoft to check if they release a patch if this problem it´s common to many people ;-)

Regards! Manu.

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:14 PM
  • I know that there willn't be any BIOS updates for my laptop... Hope for windows update to fix this problem

If there willn't be any way to solve this problem then i'll downgrade to Windows 7 :( Or maybe it's time to think about new laptop? Because this one is outdated...

Thanks you for try to help me;)

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:54 PM
  • I know that there willn't be any BIOS updates for my laptop... Hope for windows update to fix this problem

If there willn't be any way to solve this problem then i'll downgrade to Windows 7 :( Or maybe it's time to think about new laptop? Because this one is outdated...

Thanks you for try to help me;)

Don´t have to say thanks! :)

It depends on the computer hardware, could you tell me your model? And also on the use you make of the system... if you use the computer to surf internet and check the email or you work with Photoshop because you are a professional photographer.

Regards!

• Edited by Manu1990 Friday, August 10, 2012 9:00 PM add info
    Friday, August 10, 2012 8:57 PM
  • if windows 8 will not shutdown, like earlier releases, there is always one solution that works

the power switch

then run CHKDSK to be sure the file system is OK

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Are you talking about doing that all days? I don´t think the best option is turn the computer off with the power button... When you say to Windows that you want to turn off the computer it sends information to the hard drive and many other devices for a properly off.

Sorry if I didn´t understant the idea you wanted to present.

Regards! Manu.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:41 AM
  • I have understood the user can turn it off with no problem ;-) The matter is why when he hibernate the laptop it doesn´t turn completely off and it continues working...

Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:48 AM
  • I think this user tried everything posible but maybe it can help him ;-) And congratulations for your MVP title.

Regards, Manu.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:52 AM
  • He or she also did it ;-)

Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Finally, I've solved this problem! I found on some forum, that on Windows 8 new dynamic ticking feature can cause such freezes. So I've done this "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" in cmd and now my laptop works fine! So turning it off should revert me back to behavior similar to what’s on Windows 7 until a fix comes out. Maybe it will help to someone else...
    • Proposed as answer by Manu1990 Friday, August 17, 2012 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by alexiusx Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:04 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 5:05 AM
    It's not working. I haven't  solved this problem yet.
    Friday, August 24, 2012 11:30 AM
  • Having the same issue on Win 8 Pro on a brand new Dell XPS 8500 system. Worked fine until yesterday evening. Have tried rolling back updates / system restore but no effect. To be clear, on the desktop I have, after clicking "shutdown" both monitors power off but the system stays running. Mouse is lit, keyboard is active, as are the optical drive trays.

Tried removing all USB devices but no luck.

About to try switching off the synamic tick thing but I'm pretty sure this isn't the issue, other reports related to that talk about the system hanging, this is, so far as I can tell, just the O/S refusing to tell the hardware to shut down. Not keen on using the power button as an alternative as it's going to end in data loss, but not sure what alternatives there are?

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:30 PM
  • The dynamic tick thing didn't do anything.

Probably worth noting that re-start does work.

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Nope, the original post is about a laptop, mines a desktop, and I think the original refers to pre-release builds of Win 8, mine's a consumer Win 8 Pro install (Upgrade from 7, a mere £15, I thought that was quite good). Trouble is, I really haven't found many other places where people are discussing this issue. There's a chap at work running a desktop and having the same problem, his is a work desktop for compatibility testing though. All different, same issue though.

I did just come across this page: http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-shutdown-windows-8-in-just-one-click and, although I can't understand why, the shutdown command run from a shortcut appears to work? I can't think what would be different between that and the button on the charms / settings bar though?

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Only got an upgrade key, not sure they work for clean installs? In any case, the upgrade went fine and it *did* work for about 2 weeks. I don't think it's the fact it's been upgraded, that would have manifested itself earlier. That said, I can't see what changes I haven't reversed that could have done it either.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:55 AM
  • I think if I can't find any further solutions that's probably the route I'll be heading down. What I don't want to do at the moment is go through the whole clean re-install process only for the thing to work for another 2 weeks then fail. I have a working shut-down command as an icon on my desktop, that means shutdown in and of itself works, if it didn't, my icon wouldn't. I think there's more mileage now in trying to figure out what's different between my icon and the charms bar, with a view to correcting it if I'm able to.

There is always the Windows 8 "refresh your system" option too, no idea how close that is to a complete re-install though, it may well be closer to an upgrade in what it does.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:34 PM
  • I have Win8 now since the release date and yesterday I started having the same problem as described by people in the above replies. When I power the PC down, the monitors will shut off but the PC still keeps on running. I already tried a clean install, but that only worked for a few shut down cycles. Hopefully MS will issue a patch that will fix this problem since I know that it's not my Hardware causing this.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:28 AM
  • So far as myself and my colleague have been able to narrow it down we've both seen issues on a driver for a Dell card reader on the machines we're using, I think the error in my event log that corresponds to this refers to "\Driver\WudfRd" although this may be something else. Good post here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/4e392195-a7fa-4ef4-aa0f-bb78a21d9ee4/ regarding the driver verifier, which I didn't know existed until just now. Can't see any BIOS updates for my machine right now.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:55 PM
  • I bought a new Toshiba Ultrabook with Windows 8 for my son yesterday and it started having this "windows not shutting down properly" issue.  I could restart and put the computer to sleep OK but try to shutdown, it reported Shutting down but the lights stayed on and within a few seconds the computer re-started and reported that it did not shut down properly.  Thanks to the threads above I was able to conclusively resolve the issue.  See "http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-shutdown-windows-8-in-just-one-click"  thanks for your helpful comments guys.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 9:58 AM
  • try installing INF drivers for your hardware.
    e.g Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility ,  Intel Rapid Storage Technology . 

install INF first by using "-OVERALL" switch , then install RST .

google for more info.
    • Proposed as answer by Amnon Nir Monday, December 3, 2012 10:35 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 1:58 PM
  •    I bougth a brand new toshiba laptop windows 8 in canada last 8 of november...I have the same problem with them. I can't shut down my laptop...I need some help...Please....

Monday, December 3, 2012 8:45 PM
  • did you read my message?

this problem is most likely caused by chipset configuration (ACPI etc.)

should be fixed by installing INF drivers from Intel , and/or system drivers from your computer manufacturer.

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Well there certainly aren't any updated drivers available for my system (Dell). What gets me most about this is that the shut-down command from the charms bar is obviously doing something different to running the shut-down command from a shortcut. Same with sleep (I get hibernate behaviour from sleep from a shortcut).

Surely someone from MS could clarify what their command does and why it's different?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:05 AM
  • I really do not know what the problem is. but i have re installed win 8 from another disk keeping all the files the same. fixed the problem of not shutdown. Feel there is something wrong when sending command to hardware since the command line shutdown is not working either on that situation. Problem from the root

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I also have problem with Windows 8. It cannot shutdown. I feel inconvenient with Windows 8 because it does not have a "Start button" like the  traditional windows. How to bring it back?

Regards,

H.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:31 AM
  • It is not working. Could you  explain/correct "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick" more clearly, so it can help me and other people? Regards, H.
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:42 AM