App-V 5.0 Sequencing Application On Network Share - Tips/Pointers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We've got a few applications that are currently on our network in shares which I would like to try and sequence. I've tried to search around to find if anyone has posted some notes or advice on how to do this, since the release of one of the HF's for SP2 it has mentioned about network share sequencing for applications.

Would anyone have some pointers or basics for achieving this? I appreciate of course it would vary depending on the application. For example there are some MSIs and EXEs which I have attempted to install first locally within the sequence and reference shortcuts off to the share but to no luck, giving an AppVClient error when attempting to add and publish (apologies, I can't recall the error specifically).

Many thanks,

Ollie

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:17 AM

All replies

• SP2Hotfix4 fixes an issue with virtual application packages that contain shortcuts to executable (.exe) files on a network share cannot start those executables if the system account does not have access to the network share.

So are you on hotfix4 or later?

just to make clear, your MSI/EXE installs sources on the client, and uses other files/exe's on the networkshare?

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:53 PM
  • Hi,

We are on HF5 for SP2.

You're correct, there are other files on the network share that the shortcut sitting on the Desktop uses. There is also an MSI that is installed on the client.

On attempt just now I noticed that the shortcut reflected a mapped drive, I had setup the shortcut to do this to point to an EXE, and this shortcut included /appvv:<GUID> for the application. Is this an expected result when sequencing a shortcut to a network share? The application loaded fine when I tested this.

Many thanks,

Ollie

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Yes, if the targeted exe is outside your sequenced package, the appvve-switch will be appended. So if you for instance create a shortcut to internet explorer while at sequencing phase, the shortcut on the client will look like: .../iexplore.exe /appvve:{GUID}_{GUID} http://www.google.com

If you sequenced to a mapped drive, the drive must ofc be available as soon as you publish the package. So, create a publish-script which will also create the same mapped drive, or always point to the UNC path.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 5:04 PM
  • Thanks - In regards to sequencing to a mapped drive or UNC path are their considerations to either/or i.e. a rule of thumb for whichever is troublesome or an advantage over the other?

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:17 PM